Good vet clinics?

Hi there,

One my Discus isn't looking so hot these days. Looks like hes got a really persistent case of worms (nematodes was my first guess.) All of my medicating doesn't seem to be working, and I'm running out of ideas and time. Does anyone know of vet clinics in Calgary that deal with aquatics? I was hoping maybe I could bring the fish in and they could do a gill scrape or something and figure out what the problem is and what to medicate with.

Thanks,

Connor

Edited by DiscusKeeper403

Connor, if nematodes are suspected, you basically have two options.

1. Have a necropsy performed. (which obviously isn't a solution for a single specimen)

or

2. Collect fresh fecal samples that can be evaluated under a microscope for the presence of nematode adults, eggs, or larvae.

Sorry I can't help on the vet assist, hopefully someone else has a line on one.

Connor, if nematodes are suspected, you basically have two options.

1. Have a necropsy performed. (which obviously isn't a solution for a single specimen)

or

2. Collect fresh fecal samples that can be evaluated under a microscope for the presence of nematode adults, eggs, or larvae.

Sorry I can't help on the vet assist, hopefully someone else has a line on one.

Thank you.

Again not sure if it is nematodes or something else, as I have been hitting him hard with Metronidazole (500mg per 10gals dosed twice daily), which doesn't look like it helped. He hasn't eaten in a long while, so I am not even sure if I could collect a fecal sample, on top of that I don't have a microscope. Any other ideas? At the moment I am treating with praziquantal (although I am not sure this will do much..)

Thanks,

Connor

Edited by DiscusKeeper403

If it is in fact nematodes, I would think that it would have to be a pretty heavy infestation to have it refuse food altogether. If Met didn't work, then it most likely isn't a parasite infection, or it's too far gone to be saved.

Praziquantel is most effective against tapeworms, Levasimole is the better way to go for an all around dewormer. 1 g treat 100 gallons, leave for 24 hrs, then perform a large water change. Repeat 2-3 weeks later in case any eggs or larvae survived the first dose. If your fish has worms, you will see them being excreted within the first few hours.

If it's neither of the above, it could be a bacterial infection in the intestinal tract, in which case Kanamycin (Seachem Kanaplex) would be your best course of action.

Good luck, I hope the fish can be saved.

If it is in fact nematodes, I would think that it would have to be a pretty heavy infestation to have it refuse food altogether. If Met didn't work, then it most likely isn't a parasite infection, or it's too far gone to be saved.

Praziquantel is most effective against tapeworms, Levasimole is the better way to go for an all around dewormer. 1 g treat 100 gallons, leave for 24 hrs, then perform a large water change. Repeat 2-3 weeks later in case any eggs or larvae survived the first dose. If your fish has worms, you will see them being excreted within the first few hours.

If it's neither of the above, it could be a bacterial infection in the intestinal tract, in which case Kanamycin (Seachem Kanaplex) would be your best course of action.

Good luck, I hope the fish can be saved.

Thank you for the help. Any ideas where I can get Levamisole?