Have eggs... what now?

alterego

My newest additions, a Red jewel Trio, added to the tank a whole 10 days ago have spawned in my mbuna tank. I've never had a spawn before and have no Idea what to do now. How do I go about trying to ensure that the eggs hatch, and the little fry don't become lunch??? She has deposited a couple hundred eggs on the side of a piece of driftwood in a quieter corner of the tank, and I can see both parents standing guard. Any advice would again be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brendan

The parents will protect the spawn. Once they become free swimming you could siphon the fry out, but with their first few spawns I usually leave them in so that the parents get some experience. You have a pair so they will breed like clockwork about every 3-4 weeks. I had a pair and that is what they did.

Pretty much as Ray stated - The first couple times a pair spawns/breeds it's not rare that they eat or suck at being parents you need not to worry about losing your first couple spawns it's normal. y our parents will guard your fry like clock work but it's a learning expirence if these get eaten or not successful then 2weeks to a month later you'll have another batch to rinse and repeat with!!

Good LUCK!

one thing to watch for in that tank is your pleco. My experience is that not many fish could ward off a curious pleco. He might just mow right over your eggs if he is small enough to pass over them.

It's been a long time though since I spawned any fish in a pleco having tank, but it is something to watch for.

This is based on your signature line saying you have a pleco in there.

Dan

There is a pleco in there somewhere, he is rarely seen and generally hides out under the rock structure. Hopefully it will not find the eggs before she picks them up, and just because the cam battery was charged up again I thought I'd post a couple of pics:

Dad and eggs

P7130084.jpg

Mom and eggs

P7130113.jpg

Mom and eggs again

P7130114.jpg

Brendan