Hello!! Another newbie!

Barry

Another newbie!! (actually two of us thumbup.gif )

We never really thought about venturing from our freshwater tank to saltwater tank but after seeing my sister in law's tank we decided to take the plunge.

We have a 38 gallon tank and so far we have added our live sand and started adding our salt into the mixture.

The two heaters are set up and we have our filter up and running as well.

We are currently on day 5 of adding "stability treatment" and only have a few more to go before we can add our live rock.

..a few questions!

* What is the best test kit to buy?

* Where is a good place in Edmonton to buy live rock?

When you set up your tank did you put some base rock and some live rock or all live rock?

What did you prefer and why?

Thanks for your input!!

Can't wait to see what our tank ends up looking like biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum!!

I can't say what is the best test kit for SW, I just always take mine to the LFS and I don't really care about the other measurements yet...

but I hear there are a lot of great SW stores in Edmtonton. If you can, i'd search out kijiji and canreef.com for your live rock. Used live rock is much cheaper. If you buy it at a store, i'd suggest you buy the cheaper base rock and then supplement with some nice pieces of live rock. I personally just bought the contents of someone else's tank and thereby skipping the wait. I'm not a patient person...lol. Wrong hobby for me...lol But so far so good. I've been into the SW for almost 4 mths and it's fun so far.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!!

As mentioned there are two of us posting (Sweet Momma and Big Daddy), most likely it will be me Sweet Momma posting but we will both try and peak in. wink.gif

We actually have two fish tanks.

We have a little 10 gallon freshwater tank that currently houses 6 neon tetras, two goldfish and some guppies and our larger tank will be our saltwater tank.

It's pretty funny actually as they are both located in the same roomtongue2.gif

wingin'it: Thanks for the suggestions! We have peaked a little at kijjiji already but canreef is a newer one for us.

Have you purchased anything off of ebay before?

What does LFS stand for?

Bettafishmommy: LOL! We have a picture of the tank when we were cleaning it out but haven't taken anything new yet.

Probably wait until after we have liverock in there first.

We are hoping to get started with the liverock this weekend.

But shesh is it ever expensive!! Hence why we are trying to find it cheaper.

What does LFS stand for?

Bettafishmommy: LOL! We have a picture of the tank when we were cleaning it out but haven't taken anything new yet.

Probably wait until after we have liverock in there first.

We are hoping to get started with the liverock this weekend.

But shesh is it ever expensive!! Hence why we are trying to find it cheaper.

LFS is local fish store. this acronym is most commonly used when talking about smaller shops instead of the larger big box stores, IME.

and yes, saltwater is dang expensive! this is why i'm a freshie all the way (for now at least, lol!)

spotted this ad on kijiji for rock: http://edmonton.kiji...QAdIdZ215673944 can't say i know what a good price is for rock but this seller has a lot to choose from.

Check out Canreef. You can usually find people that are selling live rock that has already been cycled. This can help speed up the process although you should still test. If you want to buy live rock from a LFS expect to pay about $10/lb. Three places to check out are Blue World Aquatics, Marine Aquaria and Aquarium Illusions. The people there can probably answer a lot of your questions as well as the people on Canreef.