Co2 Regulator - compatable PH Controller?

Morphine

Milwaukee ma 957Co2 Regulator with Bubble Counter and Solenoid Valve

CO2 SOLENOID REGULATOR from Milwaukee. This unit includes a Bubble Counter and Electronic Solenoid for consistent automated CO2 delivery. Perfect for freshwater planted tanks and calcium reactors for reef tanks. 6 month Limited Warranty from Milwaukee Instruments.

• Dual gauges..one for CO2 pressure and content meter
  • Solid Copper construction
  • CO2 Output line.
  • Silicone line connection
  • Needle Valve for precision adjustments
  • Solenoid
  • Light Indicator for on-off cycles
  • NOW INCLUDES BUBBLE COUNTER
  • AC Power wire

This is the Co2 Reg and Solenoid i'm looking at purchasing for my c02 system - I guess the question isn't so much with this regulator but the what sort of PH controller I should buy with it, Now I'm looking on Ebay and the same seller has a PH controller + this Reg together and claims they work the best together they are asking 90$ for the Regulator system but they want 190$ with teh controller! Which is super expensive and I don't really want to go that way if I don't have to but the controller it self is going for 130$ alone. Now I know that this Controller you can control your PH levels and others you can't I guess i'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction?!

#3 I think would be the best option haha! I've done so much research before I jump head first into my planted tank i'm just trying to get everything clear and understood before time! I'm definetly not worried about the PH Swing or Co2 wastage. I've read alot of articles that use a Ph controller to gauge to regulate the co2 I've alos read articles that state that it's not needed.

I guess all in all i'm just looking for a swing to get one; or not to get one, also If I do then decide to get one would a normal 20$ work.

What articles do you recommend I know i've read some by both. Thanks alot for your input I appreciate it!

No, you do not need a pH controller. However, it's a really lovely toy to have. I agree with Kronondelsol, put you $$ into the lighting first- you will get a better value there.

If you do want one, I'd recommend the Pinpoint controllers. Been using them for around 10 years and they're a quality piece of equipment.

BTW, if you're using a controller, save your $$- you won't need a bubble counter. Also, any pH probe will have issues if it dries out, and it will need regular recalibration and replacement over time.

if you want to keep the ph stable at night then you don't use a timer. However, it then wastes a lot of co2 at night and you find yourself filling your tank up more frequently. Fish also breathe harder at night with added co2 from both the tank and the plants. You also have a fail safe incase the solenoid fails, the timer will still shut off the controller.

I see your point on how it would consume more CO2 to replace what gets gassed off at night. Cost aside though, fish might lack for oxygen, but I can't see how a steady and otherwise healthy level of CO2 would cause them undue breathing difficulties. The fish themselves should be the only natural CO2 source, and if the levels rose overmuch the controller should shut off and add no more. I wonder also if there might not be fish health benefits by avoiding a daily rise and fall in PH.

Regarding the "fail safe" you mentioned, I fear that if the solenoid was stuck open, it wouldn't matter much whether there was a timer attached or not.   :unsure:

I see your point on how it would consume more CO2 to replace what gets gassed off at night. Cost aside though, fish might lack for oxygen, but I can't see how a steady and otherwise healthy level of CO2 would cause them undue breathing difficulties. The fish themselves should be the only natural CO2 source, and if the levels rose overmuch the controller should shut off and add no more. I wonder also if there might not be fish health benefits by avoiding a daily rise and fall in PH.

Don't forget that at night, both your fish and plants are giving off CO2, as a result, the controller won't need to be adding much (if any). High CO2 levels do not automatically mean lower O2 levels. Yes, O2 will be lower at night (fish and plants both consuming it), but not as a result of adding CO2.