Moss Growth

ATM

I'm having trouble getting my moss to grow or really do anything. Since I put it in my tank its been there but only turned a little browner over time. I have pressurized CO2, medium light, and I'm dosing ferts with the EI method. Any ideas on why its not taking off?

Thanks

What type of moss is it? Is this your 20gal? What size are the bulbs and how old are they? And how much CO2?

I have to think that maybe it's a lack of light? I'm no expert at this by any means, but it's my understanding that when you give a plant CO2, it needs higher light and nutrient availability behind that.

It was the delicate balancing act that drove me out of CO2 and into low-tech tongue2.gif

Edited by heff

Okay, its java moss and I'm running about 25-30ppm of CO2 with two to three 18w t5no bulbs that were new about 4 months ago. It is my 20 gallon long and the moss is about half way up the tank on a piece of driftwood. All the other plants in the tank have really started to grow nicely except the moss.

Hmm... I think java moss is supposed to be pretty easy to grow under a variety of conditions. Could you maybe have too much light for it?

I'm sure there's someone here that's grown java moss successfully in a setup close to your own.

EDIT: I did some searching (instead of working) and found some accounts of others with similar issues. Java moss growing poorly with high light conditions, versus it thriving in low light. Based on these extremely credible sources :P, you could try flipping the driftwood so it was shaded or putting it further away from the light?

Edited by heff

or putting it further away from the light?

Everything is more fun when you make it a game! Why not?

If it is not doing much you have little to lose.

Grab a chunk and put it in a shady spot. You may find it does the trick.

The Java and Tiawan moss grow faster in my low-light non-C02tanks.

What is the Temp? Moss and heat make strange bedfellows. :boom: