Light cycles

Hey Guys

My cycle is basically finished (reading 0 ppm for amm & nitri) and I just waiting for my replacement water to age so I can do a major water change and get this show on the road. I recently purchased some lights from petandsponds.com and I ended up going with 2x36" Hagen GLO T5HOs.....I got 2x6700K bulbs with the order but I'm starting to think that I should have gotten at least 1 actinic bulb instead.

My tank has been cycling (and in the dark for 3 weeks) so I haven't done much research on lighting and I'm wondering what you've all gotten your best results with? I've only got T5's so please no MH talk....basically I'm wonding if my light supply is sufficient (2x 36" Hagen Life-glo 6700K) even though I only have 2 bulbs going without actinics.

SHould I mix my lightbar with 1 white-light and 1 actinic and go 12hrs on/12 off...........or should I save up for another 2-bulb lightbar go 12 hrs white light on one and 12 hrs actinic on the other.

Please let me know what you think

I don't believe 2 t5's is enough. good enough for fish and some lps high in the tank, but that's it. Actinic bulbs supply the much needed blue spectrum that can penetrate the water deeper. get another lightstrip and run 2 actinic, and 2 6-10000 *I am also just getting started on saltwater so take my opinion with a grain of salt

• 3 weeks later...

What are you planning on doing with your tank (stocking wise)? How big is the tank? How deep? Usually a 2 bulb system will be not enough. Yes you do need actinics for SW but the number one thing is where you are going with the build (FOWLR, reef, etc).

Medhat was right good for fish not much for coral dump the 6700K way to yellow will make your tank look like pee actinics will enhance the colors a bit corals don't color well under 6700. I would say minimum 10K. I'm a MH guy and I always go 14-15K with suplimental actinics I want the colors to pop. But like MMax said it all depends what you want to do if your throwing together a tank for a couple clowns, a firefish and goby it will be fine for coral a big old sun coral http://www.melevsreef.com/suncoral.html would be good you can grow them in the dark....but need to be fed everyday. Some corals will live they will not grow or reproduce but the will live.