Hello! see my tank =]

ridethespiral

The name's Justin, and I'm only 18 :P

My love for this hobby started with bettas, and now I want a big tank!

Hardware:

-100w Fluval M Heater

-Aquaclear 20

-2x - 15w 6500k Spiral CFL ( Ran 12pm - 12am )

-DIY CO2 injected into filter @ 1-1.5bps ( 2 bottles, started 1 week apart.. Think I found a good recipe to get it going 2 weeks apart at same bps )

-Seachem Ammonia Alert

Fish:

Male Betta

Sterbai Cory

3x Peppered Cory's

Plants:

Java Fern

Red Ludwigia

Moneywort

Anubias Nana

Amazon Sword

Ferts:

Rootmedic complete substrate capsules

Rootmedic micro/macro 3x a week

Old seachem flourish root ferts.

Excel every few days still.

10/02

2010-10-03_00-44-32_742_Edmonton.jpg

First fish (betta) went in July 27th.

Since this picture, I've changed to black silicone tubing, and the heater is no longer submerged.. easier access to change temp

You can see all the little baby java ferns growing on the leaves :P

Edited by ridethespiral

• 3 weeks later...

Got ich, didn't seem to get cured, came around again, thought I cured it then thought it might be velvet since I saw teeeny spots all over.

Did 3 maracide treatments, and 3 weeks of copper sulfate treatment.

Last 5 days he's been lethargic and not really moving. Only for food. Removed all copper, upped the salt, maintaining heat and feeding whenever his tummy doesn't look full.

It was recommended I take him out but I don't think that's the best thing for him, the corys shouldn't be stressing him out that much can they?

He's the only sick guy

Edited by ridethespiral

he's most likely feeling the effects of all the meds. give him some time and clean water. daily water changes may be a good idea.

could you post a close up photo of him? teeny spots doesn't sound like ich or velvet. with ich on a betta, the 'salt grains' really stand out. (;salt grains' being the ich). velvet looks like a dusting of a sorta shimmery powder.

i wouldn't think the cories would be stressing him. looks like your tank provides lots of hiding spots for both the cories and the betta.

Is it possible that the copper could have poisoned him? I mean, he has been hanging in there though but it doesn't look like any improvement. His right eye is clouded over, though I do not have a picture of it.. I've been making sure he's well fed since I was underfeeding them before. I threw in an extra indian almond leaf so the water is full of tannins.

Here is a link to an album full of pictures taken a few days ago

http://picasaweb.google.com/101190951441287214310/FishieSick?feat=directlink

even if you get all the copper out of the water it still leaches into things like gravel, decor, and the silicone on the tank. this is why keeping shrimp in a tank that was ever treated with a copper based med usually doesn't go too well (shrimp are highly sensitive to copper).

were you dosing the maracide and copper sulfate at the same time? if so, the mix of meds may have given his system a good bit of shock.

i looked through all the photos and it really is hard to tell. try some photos with the flash turned off and the lens of the camera as close to the glass as you can. wait for him to swim by and get the photo.

there may be some sort of 'dusting' on him but i can't tell if it is velvet or not. i looked but couldn't see any spots that look like ich. the cloudy eye could be due to poor water conditions. i do see a good bit of mulm on your plants. are you doing water changes at least once a week and gravel vacc-ing each time?

he sure does look skinny! i'd be feeding frozen bloodworms at this point to keep his energy up and to fill out that tummy some. soak them in a bit of garlic juice to improve appetite, and garlic is known to be good for fish. why were you underfeeding before? just due to his health issues?

if you think it wouldn't be too much stress for the lil guy, you might try moving him to a qt tank with no substrate, a couple of silk plants near the surface for him to rest on. put a gentle filter on there and move a bit of media over from your filter on his current tank. daily water changes on the qt tank using Prime for dechlor. do this for a week with no meds in there at all and monitor for improvement. if no improvement, then re-consider medicating. but only medicate once you have a confirmed diagnosis of the problem(s).

Its hard to get a picture because I broke my tank lights eep.

I did the maracide and copper treatments seperate

I gravel vac every second water change or so, I was told the plants use the mulm anyways.

Don't have another tank. I had not been feeding him because he kept eating snail eggs! Whenever I saw him he was fat. I guess with copper treatment I didn't realize every snail died haha. Water quality shouldn't be an issue, I do about an 80% water change once a week. They love it

He has been eating fine. Ill give him blood worms tomorrow