angels/plecos

Go Big or Go Home!

do plecos pose a dangerous threat to eggs layed by angels?

my father has a pair of angels who seem to be guarding a spot in the tank...they are extreemly protective of a stump :boxer:

i have no experiance at all when it comes to angels or eggs so i thought i would ask for him

my father has a small problem with alge so he was wondering if his plecos will harm the eggs.....sooooooo .... anyone out there have an answer? :smokey:

I have heard of Angels killing plecos...the dwarfs anyway. The plecos may pose a threat at night. I have broken a lot of "fish rules" with no ill effect, so sometimes you have to find out for yourself. For example, Jack Wattley (famous Discus breeder) said you should NEVER keep Discus and plecos together. (Something to do with the pleco's activity at night scaring them and maybe suck on them) I have 11 dwarf plecos mixed with 5 Discus with no ill effects. So I broke that rule big-time. And I have seen pics on websites showing plecos and Discus together. (But some plecos like L134 or L260 ARE very active, complared to my L46 that don't dart all over the place during the night, so it depends on the species.)

My point? Find out for yourself if the plecos cause any harm. I also think many fish act they way they do for a reason, and maybe your tank is harmonious that all the fish act peaceful?

Experiment. :)

As for getting rid of algae...DON'T touch those ugly Common plecos with a 10 foot pole! They grow to about 2 feet, lose their appetite for algae as they mature, and have been known to EAT small sleepiing fish at night! Buy some Ottocinclus. They are great algae eaters and only get 2 inches long. They are also like canaries....they will be the first to die if your tank is being neglected.

Good luck!

Edited by wandj

• 2 weeks later...

Pleco's , generally speaking, like any fish wouldn't mind a treat of eggs if they can get to it,even if they don't eat them they would possibly disturb them just from going about their usual business,so yes it would be risky if you have them together and you would like the angels to spawn.

Depends on the pleco really, and how stubborn/food driven he is. The pair can easily kill even a large pleco - and it's not unheard of to happen.

I would suggest you add a night light to your tank - lets the angels see when the pleco is coming. That's a easy way to help the mom & pop to be.

Andy

Depends on the pleco really, and how stubborn/food driven he is. The pair can easily kill even a large pleco - and it's not unheard of to happen.

I would suggest you add a night light to your tank - lets the angels see when the pleco is coming. That's a easy way to help the mom & pop to be.

Andy

yeah I would agree with the night light as my experience has been a bit different that apparently some others. I had a pair of black angels with an extrememly aggressive and protective male however at lights out the pleco ruled and entire spawns of eggs were eaten.

Rick