Jewel cichlid sick

THUNDER

hello all my jewel cichlid has been acting odd for the last month now i noticed he was losing weight but still eating. i put him in a seperate tank and increased feeding but he is still losing weight. he is now losing color, scratching up against rocks, moving his head side to side and breathing hard. I would think it is a parasite. if you can help at all that would greatly be appreciated thank you i would hate to lose the guy thx.

Kyle

Im no expert but it sounds like a internal problem, like parasites or worms. Which can lead to many other problems when your fish is weakened. But be aware that poor water quality can also weaken the fishies immune system.

Him eating and losing weight makes me think it could be worms. Like jlake said water quality is huge! With some ailments, just really clean water takes care of the problems. Depending on what you have tried so far I would deworm him. What other treatments have u tried?

He is undoubtable weak already, and will continue to waste away. Even the stress of treatment may kill him. What other symptoms do u see? Anything poking out his anus? Eyes ok? Slime coat etc

Edited by Jayba

Him eating and losing weight makes me think it could be worms. Like jlake said water quality is huge! With some ailments, just really clean water takes care of the problems. Depending on what you have tried so far I would deworm him. What other treatments have u tried?

He is undoubtable weak already, and will continue to waste away. Even the stress of treatment may kill him. What other symptoms do u see? Anything poking out his anus? Eyes ok? Slime coat etc

i have not tryed any treatments. nope those are ll the symptoms i see he is staying at the top and very stressed. what treatment could i try to help the guy out?

Water changes are the first thing, like 2 big ones a week. If he is gasping near the surface it may also be gill flukes. Gill flukes if let alone will cause other problems in the fish. I would start there, and see id there is a behavioral change. Also what is your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at?

Jungle makes a product called 'parasite clear' that works well. I generally keep it around all the time. A very wise man once told me that if fish are flashing, and u can't see anything, treat for flukes. Gill flukes generally start with flashing (scratching) And can cause a ripple effect with secondary problems. I would start there, and after that hit it with Levamisol, a good dewormer.

Just my 2 cents. There are people here that are more experienced on AA, and hopefully they could also throw in their help. Good luck. Jay