Skiffia lermae dropped fry today

DanGofCalgary

It never rains, it only pours!

So my skiffia lermae that I got at the ACE auction dropped her fry today. There were only four though. What is a typical spawn for them? I have been doing some reading and it seems that there are very small spawns from them. I am considering asking the CAS BAP coordinator for an exception to the 10 fry rule, but only if I get confirmation that this small of a spawn is not unusual.

For anyone that has spawned them, what has your experience been with this?

Thanks

Dan

The fry are born in small quantities and I believe this species has published brood records of less than 10 fry, but need to check the CAC BAP records to be sure. Any published reference to brood size of Skiffia lermae should be okay to verify if the CAS doesn't state it clearly in thier BAP.

Cheers :beer:

Edited by Burbot

hehe. Thanks. I actually have more failed spawns right now than successful ones. My Lacustricola Katangae female died and I had only succesfully hatched out about 8 fry. I'll have to catch that one on the next generation. The fry are so cute though with their little blue eyes!

My Super Red Severums just failed on their 3rd spawn. The first two fungused over, and this one they ate last night randomly. They hadn't eaten the last two dailed spawns, just let them fungus completely but they did this one the day after they laid it. and it wasn't fungused, I had seen it only a few hours before.

My double dark angels laid a bad spawn...

My damn betta male needs abuse counselling. I can't put the female with him;. He immediately tries to kill her...

My betta picta pair that I bought at Big Als in Edmonton leapt out of a 1 inch crack the first night I brough them home... found them dried up on the floor in the morning.

More fail than sucess so far, but I am getting my breeding chops back... a bit! haha! Probably the first thing to remember is only talk about the sucessful ones, not the fail! :smokey:

haha!

Are you sure I am ready for guppies??? My most succesfull spawns so far since I have gotten back are snails and hydra! I don't know if I am ready for guppies!!!:boxed: :poo:

only one way to find out! start with " wild caughts" or feeders as they are also known in the hobby and work up to the fancy inbread stuff lol

but seriously congrats on the spawn, it must be hard to have so many tanks and so little success... patience is once again key lol

, it must be hard to have so many tanks and so little success.

It might be, if I took myself seriously. It's all part of the journey. relearning what is forgotten, then learning new, then forgetting that to alzheimers, and learning it all over again!

Greatest part about being as old as I am, i wake up to a woman I can't remember meeting, every day! :smokey:

, it must be hard to have so many tanks and so little success.

It might be, if I took myself seriously. It's all part of the journey. relearning what is forgotten, then learning new, then forgetting that to alzheimers, and learning it all over again!

Greatest part about being as old as I am, i wake up to a woman I can't remember meeting, every day! :smokey:

lol, "old-timers" strikes again

nm. She dropped 10 more today while I was at work. Never seen a livebearer do that before.

Mind you, she was in a trap and a female betta is in the tank. That betta was taking runs at the fry when I showed up! haha! she kept ramming her face in to the breeder trap plastic! Probably scared the female yesterday trying to get at the 4 fry she had dropped.

nm. She dropped 10 more today while I was at work. Never seen a livebearer do that before.

Mind you, she was in a trap and a female betta is in the tank. That betta was taking runs at the fry when I showed up! haha! she kept ramming her face in to the breeder trap plastic! Probably scared the female yesterday trying to get at the 4 fry she had dropped.

yeah that could be pretty stressfull lol