KNO3 - Mold?

heff

My bottles of fertilizer are clear plastic water bottles (marked up with black sharpie so nobody drinks it) and I noticed that in my KNO3 bottle I've got what looks like mold in there!

Has anyone had this happen? Is this stuff best left in the fridge?

I should probably dump this and remake it eh?

Thanks!

Edited by heff

My bottles of fertilizer are clear plastic water bottles (marked up with black sharpie so nobody drinks it) and I noticed that in my KNO3 bottle I've got what looks like mold in there!

Thanks!

as far as I know, only micros will grow mold and such

I got it in liquid form from All Seasons down near Whyte Ave. Liquid form because that's the only way they'll sell it in Alberta (maybe Canada too?). I don't know if they ship either...

And dirt cheap too, I think I paid $15 for enough KNO3 and KH2PO4 to last me well over a year. Just call up ahead of time because it takes some time to make the mix.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info. Now back from the hijack to the OP.

uhm, I was intending that he should use some excel to prevent the mold. I did not hijack the thread

I never said you did hijack it. I meant that I hijacked it by asking where to get KNO3.

Thanks!

I went to the neighborhood pharmacy and got 2 120ml bottles, the brown ones they use for liquid prescriptions. I figured brown would help with the light getting in. Also hoping that smaller batches would keep better. I have heard of people keeping them in the fridge before, just a bit of a pain for me with the tanks in the basement.

I have heard of ferts molding, I don't recall if it's micro or macro that it was on, but it is totally plausible. And yeah, I would make a new batch LOL!

Edited by Jayba

I have a fridge available but I don't really want to put them in the one where everyone keeps their lunch. I'm sure they'd love to share space with my TOXIC - DON'T DRINK bottles.

Good call on the brown bottles though.

KNO3 isn't all that toxic, mold grows in it. It used to be widely used as a preservative in processed meats, sausage, corned beef, etc. It has lost it's popularity for that in North America, but is still used extensively in Europe.