Do You Give Your Oscars Toys To Play With?

BettaFishMommy

just wondering if the other oscar keepers here give their fish things to play with?

i've discovered that my Gus has a hate relationship with the colour orange, lol. he will clear the sand away from the centre bottom of his tank and try to get at the orange 'tempered glass' sticker on the underside of the bottom pane. he also tries to box with his reflection if the sticker isn't visible. he is predominately orangey-red in colour.

he also will try to attack a nemo stuffie if it is put up to the tank. i know it's the colour he's going after, since other coloured items garner no response other than 'feed me now human!', lol.

so i found a bright orange plastic ball. it floats. been watching Gus chase this ball all over the tank for the past hour. he tries to bite it but the size of the ball just makes it slip away from him every time, and then it gets caught in the filter flow and he goes after it like a bat out of 'heck', lol.

i need to find an orange golf ball so he has a toy for the top and one for the bottom of the tank.

anyone know if the paint on a golf ball is likely to flake off or get chewed off? my Gus has left bite marks on the canister intake tubes...... lol.

so who else gives their oscars 'play time'??

A true orange golfball is that color throughout the outer coating that is a couple of mills thick. Depending on the ball. I would think they are rather inert in water, after being in water for weeks they still seem like they were never wet before.

Pretty cool he has a mission to keep himself busy.

lol! and i bet i could do some condition training that would teach him that bringing the ball (or whatever item is used) back to a certain corner of the tank means he gets food. oscars are pretty darn smart, IMO.

i would have to find something that has a small end but is large enough that he can't swallow it.

you've given me a challenging task Jaykit...... train an oscar to fetch!

• 4 weeks later...