New Light Fixture

robin

Hello, a question.

My old light fixture pooped out on a used tank i got a year ago. I proceeded to Big Al's and bought a new 'aquaticlife' fixture for my tank. I love the light! It is so bright and lovely, and my plants I am sure will perk up a bit.

The legs this lamp stands on makes it so high that I can not put the canopy overtop. I don't HAVE to use the canopy, but I kinda like to, it is nice. There is a lot of ventilation at the back of the canopy....soooooo.......Can I somehow, safely, shorten the legs so the light is very close to the tank but not touching? Is this dangerous? Is there an easy way to do this?

Tips and cautions/go aheads please....

thnx

Robin

Funny you say leggo, I've done that! I ended up siliconing 2 pieces of abs pipe the width of the fixture (5 inches or so) to the glass then laid the fixture on them at the outermost point. Works well, and didn't have to butcher the fixture at all.

Great light! I have 3 of these. 2 36" ones and a 24". I am not sure about shortening the legs and I believe it says on the box or on the little yellow note attached to the splash guard that it is not to be used inside a hood.

What size is yours. I have 2 36" ones for sale ;) ;)

Great light! I have 3 of these. 2 36" ones and a 24". I am not sure about shortening the legs and I believe it says on the box or on the little yellow note attached to the splash guard that it is not to be used inside a hood.

What size is yours. I have 2 36" ones for sale ;) ;)

I noticed yours for sale!! The ones you connected??? I have a 24". The little yellow note in question does say not to use a canopy....BUT.....many people i have talked to, including the fellow at the fish store said that as long as the canopy is well vented, there wouldn't be a prob. My issue is the length of the legs makes this lamp waaaaay to high to fit in the canopy......what is the minimum distance safe from the glass top?

It probably would be ok inside the canopy as t5's don't put out all that much heat and like you said is well ventilated. I think the safety note is on there just so AquaticLife doesn't have to take responsibility in the worst case scenario.

DO you have a nice wooden canopy on there or something? Maybe you could do like I do and just run it open topped? Or even buy one of those Perfecto hinged glass tops?

As for minimum distance it would have to be from a glass top I am not too sure maybe just 1 inch? I have a Coralife Mini PC on a 2.5g emersed tank and it just sits right on top of the glass top. The pc's get much much hotter then t5's so I think you should be fine.

I have the same fixture and i suggest just using the legs. Its a pretty intense little unit. How deep is the tank?..

hmmmm, not getting out of bed to measure....It is a really tall tank, i think the depth is 24"as well as the length. the width is 12".

i love the light coming from this little unit, i agree it is a nice one. i might just store the canopy and use the proper legs, or maybe diy and fit it under the lid. not sure...

Dalray? you out there? how many gallons is this tank you sold me with the demasoni in it????

Edited by robin

It probably would be ok inside the canopy as t5's don't put out all that much heat and like you said is well ventilated. I think the safety note is on there just so AquaticLife doesn't have to take responsibility in the worst case scenario.

DO you have a nice wooden canopy on there or something? Maybe you could do like I do and just run it open topped? Or even buy one of those Perfecto hinged glass tops?

As for minimum distance it would have to be from a glass top I am not too sure maybe just 1 inch? I have a Coralife Mini PC on a 2.5g emersed tank and it just sits right on top of the glass top. The pc's get much much hotter then t5's so I think you should be fine.

I have a lovely matching wooden canopy on the tank (well, did...) and it just seems such a shame not to use it, but I really love the output of this light! I will have to measure and mull this over and see if it will fit under the canopy on 1" of lego stilts. We'll see. I'll let you know what I end up with....and maybe a pic!