Protein Skimmer

corrosionjerry

Ok / I found my sump tank / low and behold I am not sure why I didnt think of it before .... many of you have seen my 60 gallon partioned tank that I use for spixi snails shrimp etc etc ... it has 4 equal 15G partitions with 1 inch openings on the bottom of each pain of glass... so I should be able to modify this when time comes for set up.....

Here is what I need some help with :

What kind or model of an internal protein skimmer would you recomend /

Ok / I found my sump tank / low and behold I am not sure why I didnt think of it before .... many of you have seen my 60 gallon partioned tank that I use for spixi snails shrimp etc etc ... it has 4 equal 15G partitions with 1 inch openings on the bottom of each pain of glass... so I should be able to modify this when time comes for set up.....

Here is what I need some help with :

What kind or model of an internal protein skimmer would you recomend /

Oh, tough question. There's so many different types of skimmers, and some can be really fickle to tune. I can't answer this for you, so my best advice is check around and see what others are using. The Sea Clones are reffered to as Sea Clowns, for example. ;)

Right now I have running a deltec mce300, a tunze 9002 and an remora aqua-c.

The deltec works well, but is a bit expensive, and is a bit noisy, both the pump, the suction and return to the tank can be a bit loud when used as a hang on tank. When used in the sump you cannot hear the return or the air intake, but it does vibrate enough to give the entire stand a bit of a hum. Someone on here or Canreef suggested a piece of neoprene under it, I haven't tried that, but if it stops the hum I'd give the skimmer a 4.5 out of 5. I'd probably buy another one.

The tunze is pretty much dead quiet, it's in the bedroom in a sump that is not in a cabinet, so quiet is a must. You can hear the bubbles in the chamber if you listen for them. Skimmer works well. I'd buy another one.

The remora, well it's a skimmer. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It's pretty quiet, if paper towel is placed over the air intake in the first chamber. I don't really have anything good or bad to say about it. I wouldn't buy another one.

Before you buy a skimmer, do lots of research on the web about the ones that interest you. Stay away from the prisms, and the coral life SS, way to many horror stories about them, I have no experience with either.