Betta Not Want To Eat

BettaVishVish

I think it would need to be the non iodized salt not plain table salt and also with no additives such as anti clumping agents. Kosher salt is probably the best choice as it should be straight sodium chloride. If I remember right its like 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons or something like that.

I bought the aquarium salt but didn't put it right away since I'm not too sure if this would do any good.

After reading and talking to couple people, I decided just to try it. I added 1 tbl spoon as per instruction in the package. Before I added the salt,betta just lied down at the bottom ..curled up. I hope it's not too late.

did you bump the heat up?......a couple degrees a day until you reach around 84

excerpt from an article on MonsterFishKeepers.com: (link: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226328)

Are the additives in table salt harmful in aquariums or ponds?

The short answer is “no”. Neither the small percentage of iodides nor the anti-caking additives can be considered to be dangerous when the salt is used in ponds or aquariums. There is no valid reason to use only non-iodized salt yet this is always a hot topic for discussion and argument among aquarium hobbyists. In reality, the minuscule amount of iodide that would end up in a treated pond or aquarium is likely to be beneficial (as a potential source of essential iodine for both certain plants and animals) and certainly not harmful. Fishes can suffer from goiter (= iodine deficiency) also.

the anti-caking additive most commonly discussed in the salt articles i've read is yellow prussiate of soda (YPS).

if you follow the link at the bottom of the thread in my link above, it goes on to discuss YPS and the issues that can arise from using salt containing YPS.

i was curious about the box of salt i have in my kitchen cupboard, sifto brand table salt, which i have used in the past with my fish, and wondered if it contained YPS, so i took a look at the ingredients.

salt

calcium silicate - this is an anti-caking agent but i have yet to come across any information saying it is harmful in an aquarium application.

potassium iodide

sodium thiosulphate

sifto brand table salt does not contain YPS, and i would conclude that it is safe for aquarium use.

as well, straight from Sifto Canada http://www.siftocanada.com/products/culinary.html

all of our culinary salts are certified kosher.

sorry to derail the thread with the above, but just wanted to get the info out there on table salt.

Vish, your betta may just be at the end of his time. you've had him for a year, and most bettas sold in stores are about a year old (because that is when the fins are nice and long and people want 'the pretty fish', not a juvie that isn't yet showing his true colours/fins).

as well, the temperature change you mentioned - when his tank was colder, may have been too stressful for him along with his age. posssibly he just wasn't able to recover fully from it.

unless you can clearly see what looks like grains of salt on his body and fins, i would not treat with salt/heat. the photo you posted isn't clear enough for me to tell if it is ich - i see a couple of 'spots' (one above his eye and one behind the pectoral fin) but can't tell if that is something in the water/on the glass or if it is ich cysts.

Vish, your betta may just be at the end of his time. you've had him for a year, and most bettas sold in stores are about a year old (because that is when the fins are nice and long and people want 'the pretty fish', not a juvie that isn't yet showing his true colours/fins).

as well, the temperature change you mentioned - when his tank was colder, may have been too stressful for him along with his age. posssibly he just wasn't able to recover fully from it.

That could be. I'm slowly preparing myself for that so I won't get :shock: .

Thanks for your info about the salt, I really appreciate it.

I thought i should give an update on this.

I checked him this morning, and for the first time I saw him swimming actively. He's also eating :)

He looks so blue and pretty (or.. it just me being happy to see him recover)

Thanks again everyone for all input and suggestion. Have a nice weekend :)