Assistance Id'ing Lily

Crystal

I have several of these plants. They don't resemble the pond lilies I am more familiar with.

The leaves are mostly green with some rectangular red splotches, underside of leaf is completely green. Leaves are all about 3-4" long and 2" wide. Stems can range from a few inches to 2 feet, depending on water level. There are no submerged leaves on these plants, and they refuse to produce one. Every leaf floats on the surface (or attempts to in stronger current), if it cannot establish leaves on the surface, the plant eventually dies. The stems are fragile, and snap like a thin, crisp bean sprout.

It has no tubers, and the roots are white (and "crisp" and snap easily) and only grow about 5-6". The plant detests having its roots moved, and my most of my plants are in small pots so I can move them without the plant dieing. It reproduces by runners. When I got mine, the parent plant had small white flowers which floated on the surface - none of mine have flowered.

It barely grew for over a year (no runners), but the last 2 months it has shot out at least a dozen runners.

Jan20113.jpg

Jan201113.jpg

You can see the runner and the lack of submerged leaves.

DSC02876Large.jpg

You can see the roots, and lack of tubers. This guy was in an awkward place to root him, so I never got around to it.

DSC02871Large.jpg

This is my 90g, and the stems reach the surface and stretch quite a ways, if the plants in front of the filter can't get their leaves on top, they will die after a while.

DSC02878Large.jpg

Any ideas? I do have a hardy pond lily in my tank and it is completely different.

I am going to have to sell some of these soon, and would like to be able to tell the people what it is.

Edited by Crystal

What a lovely display,

Those pads are fantastic; I have never seen a 8-bit digital plant before !!

Perhaps these could be related ?

Lol. I somehow doubt daisies (even 8-bit ones) and water lilies are very closely related... ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...