Mko's 15 Gallon

Mko

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a Video Update of my tank.

There have been a few changes since the last update. Going to the U of A and then working for the early part of summer has left the tank slightly neglected creating a good growth of BBA and hair algae which I am working on getting rid of. The tank now runs on a single T5HO life glo bulb (6700k) with a GLOlite fixture. Co2 diffusor is a Mr. Aqua ceramic diffusor and filtration has been upgraded to an Eheim 2213. Here is the updated fish list as well:

11 x Boraras Brigittae (Chili Rasbora)

5 x Boraras Maculatus (3-Spot Rasbora)

5 x Trigonostigma Hengeli (Hengeli Rasbora or Porkchop Rasbora)

6 x Galaxy Rasbora

1 x Dwarf Blue Gourami

4 x Amano Shrimp

• 4 months later...

Here are some updated Tank Specs:

• 15 Gallon Hagen Tank 24 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4
  • Aquatic life T5HO lights x2
  • Hagen GLO fixture x 1 bulb (backlight)
  • Eheim 2215 filtration
  • DIY paintball Co2 injection with Eheim Mr.Aqua diffuser (1bps)
  • Mini Elite filter as a powerhead for flow
  • Fluorite Black Sand as substrate

Dosing Regime:

• 1.5ml excel daily
  • 2.5ml seachem potassium every second day
  • 1.5ml seachem flourish 2 x a week

Currently doing daily water changes to battle back from a hair algae infestation keeping up with my dosing.

saw some great pearling from the plants today good sign =) hopefully I can get this tank back on balance. Daily water changes end on saturday. After that I will switch to every other day until I can rid my tank of the hair algae.

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2376-1.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

The algae has slowly started to disappear. I'm probably not winning the battle completely just yet but its definately starting to show signs of turning around. Today is the last of my daily water changes (did daily water changes over a week long period to restart the cycle and regain balance within the tank)

I'm currently only dosing potassium and excel in the tank to make sure nutrients stay down as the amanos and siamese algae eaters remove the algae around the tank.

For the tough spots of BBA i've been using a syringe to spot treat with H202, turning the filter off for 5 mins to prevent the current from spreading the H202. Then doing a water change shortly after. The results show that a lot of the BBA is starting to die off and I havent seen any new growths of BBA on its common regrowth locations (mini elite filter outflow, rocks, driftwood) which may show some positive signs of me winning the battle against the BBA for now.

current water parameters:

co2: 1.5bps

nitrate: 0 ppm

nitrite:0 ppm

ammonia:0 ppm

pH: 7.1

Still removing hair algae along with cladophora algae from the eleocharis parvula. The filamentous algae types seem to still be growing but this is probably from the old growth already present. I will continue to remove as much of the algae as I can relying on the amano shrimp to keep any new growth at bay.

Here are some shots from today:

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

hydrocotyle verticillata showing some new growth:

IMG_2390-1.jpg

Full tank shot:

IMG_2392-1.jpg

Thanks for Viewing,

I enjoy any feedback, criticisms, and advice so feel free to comment

Mirko

Edited by Mko