Fluval Filters

tigerbarb

Does anyone know if you can, or if you should, operate a Fluval cannister filter on it's side?

It would take a while to explain the entire set up, but essentially on the set up I bought the the filters sit inside the stand and enter through intakes/outlets drilled in the bottom of the tank. The people I bought it from had the filters sitting at an angle and it worked great for them. But as I'm setting the tank back up one of the hoses has a kink in it (when the filter is at an angle) which doesn't thrill me, but when I lay it on it's side the hose straightens out nicely. BUT have a cannister filled with water laying on it's side doesn't strike me as a great idea either!

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by tigerbarb

I've had no experience with canisters yet (haven't fired mine up from the garage sale) but you could put it in a tub so it won't go potty all over! What it would do to the canister running it while lying on it's side I have no idea.

Based simply on the physics of the thing, I would suggest a new hose... although in theory, as long as the seal is fine, and your media is in good shape... it should do a passable job for you.

I would certainly suggest ensuring that the media bags are quite snug inside the baskets, in that they don't "fall" to what we would normally consider the 'side' which is now your bottom. Otherwise the water will simply (and literally) take the high road, and miss all the good stuff.

There may be other considerations... but generally speaking, it's got a flat bottom and hoses out the top for a reason... I'd still say take suggestion number one, and replace the kinked hose. You may be adversely affecting impeller operation, motor bearings... all kinds of things that use the proper orientation of the device in their design.

For those who might be interested, my problem has been solved. The flex hose that comes with the new Fluvals allows more of a bend without crimping. So, some new hoses and my filters stand as they should.

To give credit where credit is due; Kari at Pisces was very helpful in solving my dilemma, and Justin helped out as well.