Naturose® Astaxanthin

RD.

While I realize that the previous topic I posted this information in may have been inappropriate, IMO it is definitely a message that I feel should get out there to hobbyists. IMO selling this product is no better than selling dog food that has exceeded its expiration date by 2-3 yrs.

I wouldn't want to see that happen to anyone's dog, or anyone's fish.

The makers of Naturose® astaxanthin (Cyanotech Corp.) have not been producing or selling this ingredient for animal feed since March 2008, and the shelf life of that product (even when stored under ideal temperature) is only 12 months. Back in 2008 this announcement by Cyanotech was posted on a number of news lines, as well as by Cyanotech, which can still be found on their website today. http://www.cyanotech.com/news/news_032608.html

I personally confirmed the info above via a company rep at Cyanotech just last year (2010), as I continued to see a number of online vendors still selling & advertising Naturose.

1. What's being sold is either not Naturose, or 2. it's at least 2 years past its expiration date, in which case due to the high lipid content it may be going, or already is, in a serious state of decomposition.

Some of you might recall when I had a 1kg sample sent to me several years ago for my own personal experimentation. Along with the sample I was sent a certificate of analysis by Cyanotech, where they clearly state that the expiration date is 1 year from the date of manufacture. They also state "Expiration date is based on proper storage in a tightly closed container at or below 4°C. At room temperature, shelf life may be reduced to 6 months from receipt of product."

The main reason for the rather short shelf life is due to the high lipid (fat) content, which is 21%. Even with using ethoxyquin as the preservative for this product, when stored under ideal conditions (4°C) it's shelf life is only 12 months.

My advice for anyone considering buying this product from an online vendor:

1.ask to see the invoice for the date that the product was purchased.

2.ask to see a copy of the certificate of analysis from that date.

3. ask them what temperature it has been stored at, and if it's in the original

foil pack from Cyanotech, or if the original container was opened, and then

parted out into small bags.

All of the above will help you determine if this product is still safe, and usable.

I suspect that no one will be willing to provide any of the above.

Caveat emptor

My advice for anyone considering buying this product from an online vendor:

1.ask to see the invoice for the date that the product was purchased.

2.ask to see a copy of the certificate of analysis from that date.

3. ask them what temperature it has been stored at, and if it's in the original

foil pack from Cyanotech, or if the original container was opened, and then

parted out into small bags.

All of the above will help you determine if this product is still safe, and usable.

I suspect that no one will be willing to provide any of the above.

Good advice considering the short time window.

All food will have a shelf life - can I apply this advice to any perspective food purchase ?

Would any manufacturer or distributor ( on-line or local ) actually offer this info ?

One very good example of what not to buy over the internet, why is it that it seems that you can buy this stuff everywhere online? Did someone start making it again and are using the name? Or was there a warehouse full of the stuff when they pulled the plug on manufacture of it?

Both natural & synthetic forms of astaxanthin are still being produced by a number of manufacturers world-wide.

Having said that Naturose was (is?) a registered trademark of Cyanotech Corp., which only produces natural astaxanthin derived from microalgae. (Haematococcus pluvialis) Using their brand name implies a certain level of quality & safety, as their products have always been considered some of the purest & highest quality in the world. A number of well known fish food manufacturers used their products, and many still do as Cyanotech still produces some of the highest quality sprirulina on the market, which they still sell as feed additive for the aquaculture industry.

There are other manufacturers that also produce astaxanthin that is derived from microalgae, there are those that produce it from Phaffia rhodozyma (yeast), and there are those that are derived from petrochemicals, such as Carophyll Pink.

IMO if someone is marketing & selling a synthetic form of astaxanthin as "Naturose" it would be more than just a bit misleading. The synthetic forms of astaxanthin cost a fraction(approx $2,000 kg) compared to a high quality natural form derived from Haematococcus pluvialis microalgae. (approx $7,000 kg) The synthetic forms contain different levels/forms of isomers, which have been shown to have different biological effects & activity in a fish, and which also impart a different overall coloration to fish.

As to why some vendors are still selling astaxanthin under the name of Naturose would only be pure specualtion on my part.

Thanks for the information. I had purchased some Naturose well over a year ago (closer to 2?) to use as a supplement to dust fruit flies fed to dart frogs, as well as to give directly to tadpoles, but never opened it and put it immediately in the freezer and promptly forgot about it until I saw this post. What are the chances that it would still be good and/or might actually harm the frogs/tadpoles if I started to use it?

Thanks for the input

This is just pure speculation on my part, but my guess as to why one is still seeing Naturose® on the market is some distributors may have bought very large quantities shortly after Cyanotech announced that they would no longer be producing or selling this product for the aquatic trade. Various vendors may in turn have done the same thing, and later realized that they had far more product than they could turn over before it began to degrade.

That, or those vendors have no idea how quickly this product does degrade & assumed that it has a much longer shelf life than what it actually does.

The bottom line is any Naturose® sold after March 2009 is probably well past the expiration date, and the longer it has been exposed to light, air, or stored above 4°C, the faster it will have degraded.