Stocking Suggestions For 20 Gallon Extra High

I have a 20 gallon extra high that was intended for dwarf seahorses but that project will be delayed for another season. I am using it to start some multies (cichlid shell dwellers). I will be starting with 6. The tank has the same footprint as a 10 gallon tank but is 24 inches high. That leaves a lot of space empty since the multies hang out on the bottom. I can think of a fw things that may work in that space -neons or rasboras...I am getting some small rainbows for another tank (Pseudomugil gertrudae) and could put a couple in there... I was really hoping for a couple of cichlids to occupy the mid upper levels but not having much success finding something. Some say Kribs and rams could fit in that space but I think only if it was a long and not a high.

Any suggestions?

I have a 20 tall, planted. i have corydoras and apistos and rams that hang at the bottom 1/2. guppies take over the top 1/2. looks nice. i love the apistos and rams from fairdeal. beauties!!

in the 3 of my tanks with rams in them, the rams all stay near the bottom, they aren't good for filling up 'upper' space. you're right, they'd much prefer a long!!

robin

In my planted tank I have zebra danio and leopard danio. They are great as they tend to use most of the middle to upper part of the tank. Often I find them on the bottom looking for uneaten white worms. Under lighting the zebra appear light blue and the leopard glow gold. Both are fun fish as they always are involved in an never ending game of tag. They will be easily intimidated not to eat baby multis. A tall tank will be great for multi's as they can be quite aggressive in the bottom section of the tank. This may make it hard to have rams or apisto. I had two small electric blue cichlid babies that were relegated to live by my stick on sponge filter lol. I would put the multi shells on one side of the tank and see how extensive their territory is. If there is an area of the tank they don't use, then you may be able to get away with rams or apisto. No suggestions for small tank cichlids, let me know if you find some!