Ideal Temperature?

Caprichoso

I have moved all my fish into a bigger tank and now just use my 30g as a shrimps tank. I have green and red cherry and crystal red's. The tank temp at the moment is 79F, because of the fish I had before. Just wondering if that is too warm for these shrimp. One of the cherry shrimp did have babies a couple of months ago but not much action since then.

Thanks in advance!

I have moved all my fish into a bigger tank and now just use my 30g as a shrimps tank. I have green and red cherry and crystal red's. The tank temp at the moment is 79F, because of the fish I had before. Just wondering if that is too warm for these shrimp. One of the cherry shrimp did have babies a couple of months ago but not much action since then.

Thanks in advance!

79F tends to be a bit on the warm side for crystal reds but still is within tolerences. I know Crystral Reds and Tiger shrimps tend to enjoy cooler temperatures. I try to keep my CRS and Tiger tanks around 23-24C (~ 74F). Ideally i would like keep them even lower - around 22C if i can but it is pretty hard to keep it that low consistently without the use of a chiller in my condo. My place also tends to warm up during the day when the sun is out because of my windows. Too much of a temperature change would stress them out.

For the cherries, they can adapt to a wide range of temperatures, although they seems to show better colors on the warmer end of the spectrum. I would say around 26-28C is ideal so what you currently have it set to should be fine for them.

If you are housing both of them the same tank i think you should aim for around 24C, but if they are doing just fine at what you have them at, I won't rush to lower the temperature. Just make sure it is consistent thru out the day and night. if you do lower your temperature do it slowly.

Hope this helps

Hung

I have my CRS and cherries in the same tank at 74. The cherries did color up a bit more when I had the temp at 78-79, but I also had a dark sustrate and better lighting then as well so i can't say it was the temp for sure. Everyone is happy and the cherries are prolific at 74.