Odd Color Shrimp

Hippoherder

In my cherry shrimp tank, which also has 2 or 3 rainbow shrimp and 3 CRS I have a shrimp that is 2.5-3cms that is a uniform dark black cherry (almost black) except for 3 tiny white lines on the fan portion of its tail. I think it might be one of (what I though wa) a rainbow shrimp. I'm pretty sure it's not a cherry... not really big enough for a CRS...I seen it 3 or 4 times over a few weeks. It's hard to see since its so dark and I never have a camera when I see it. Really cool coloration, whish I knew for sure what it is. I thought rainbows were bluish.

Try and get a picture, sounds interesting! Maybe another species of shrimp snuck into the shipment to the store? When shrimp are stressed they loose all color and now they are big enough and comfy enough to show off.

• 2 weeks later...

Found another one... this one one was gone by the time I got back with my camera. This was a little lighter than the last...more of a plum (not a hint of red). Its tail had a white triangle on it (white outline to the tail) and 3 tiny horizontal stripes just above that. I wonder of rainbow shrimp can cross with crs? Anyways, I will try and catch a picture.

Interesting, but be careful if you want them to cross breeding because the shrimps then are not pure Cherries. I once accidentally got a Blue shrimp to breed with my Cherries and with just 1 or 2 shrimplets my whole line now always gives off a few odd colored shrimp (reddish, bluish, and purplish) its really frustrating because I don't like mixes.