Trumpet Snails

About 2 years ago I purchased a Blueberry Tetra fish. Along with the fish came a small Trumpet Snail that got into the net by mistake. No problem I think, he is a cute snail. Well who know these things do not need a partner to re-produce. !! It was like an orgy in my tank and within a year I had like 100 of the things. !! I hate them. For awhile I was just scooping them out but you can not get rid of them completly - they just seem to come back . How can I get rid of them.?? Can I poisen them without hurting the fish in my tank.??

Its hard to get rid of them completely but you could get their numbers down significantly by doing this (read Best Answer):

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090621183542AAA9pEC

But make sure to BOIL the lettuce to soften it so you can get more snails out.

You can then always give/sell the snails away to pufferfish keepers as the puffers need to trim their teeth (I bet it also tastes good to them) happy.gif

The most humane way to get rid of snails is how avianaquatics said, but this process can take a long time, and some snails can lay eggs in bogwood that will stay dormant for months

In my experiences I have found that mardel brand ich,velvet,ect treatment will kill any snails and shrimp in your tank(just not humane)

Just watchout mardel is not good for scaleless fish.

One of the main ingredients in mardel is copper something, when I was really new to the hobbie I dosed my tank and killed all of my snails(mystery,nertle,and rabbit)I never had any MTS at the time but I believe they would react the same way. I also lost 11 ghost shrimp from the mistake.

Edited by Sprucegruve

I just dropped 15 assassin snails in my tank. They are gonna have a serious pig out session I alsohave been putting cucumber slices in one peticular corner of the tank, held down by a rock and elastic band. The rock has a string tied to it long enough to poke out the top of the tank. I just pull the string up, pick off the little vermin and drop it back in. Hopefully between the two methods it will help. We shall see how it goes.

I find that trumpet snails are not attracted to lettuce or zucchini. I keep a 33 gallon snail tank to supply my cichlids and puffers. I always leave bait down for the ramshorn and pond snails. I get a ton of them, but rarely do I get trumpets. Trumpets are mainly attracted to waste in the substraight, they eat very little algae. Not only do they prevent gas pockets from forming in the sand, they eat any fish waste. This prevents nitrates etc. Loaches are the best at keeping the numbers down. Anything that eats poop, is awesome in my book!

Edited by nanmer

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did try the lettuce method and even asked the girl at PJ Pets, will this hurt my 2 Whisker Shrimps.? Oh no she said - Well put a nice piece of lettuce in the tank, held down by a Aquarium Decoration and went to Capital Ex. Came home 5 hours later and found 2 dead,stuffed shrimp. They ate the lettuce. No snails anywhere near it. !! I did have 2 Yo Yo Loaches for awile, but they did not show any interest in the snails.

Rebel Thunder I would love to give you as many snails as you wanted, but you live in Jasper and I live in Edmonton. dont know how well snails travel throiugh Canada Post. LOL.....

If anyone wants snails ( and since I seem to be stuck with them at the moment ) I will gladly give them away to anyone who wants them for their tank or fish food. Just let me know.....

Assassin snails are good. They will never really eliminate the problem but they can keep it in control. Also loaches can work as well. As for food for puffers, the trumpet snail's shells can be a bit tough for the puffers to crack, I think ramshorn and pond snails work best for puffers.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did try the lettuce method and even asked the girl at PJ Pets, will this hurt my 2 Whisker Shrimps.? Oh no she said - Well put a nice piece of lettuce in the tank, held down by a Aquarium Decoration and went to Capital Ex. Came home 5 hours later and found 2 dead,stuffed shrimp. They ate the lettuce. No snails anywhere near it. !! I did have 2 Yo Yo Loaches for awile, but they did not show any interest in the snails.

Rebel Thunder I would love to give you as many snails as you wanted, but you live in Jasper and I live in Edmonton. dont know how well snails travel throiugh Canada Post. LOL.....

If anyone wants snails ( and since I seem to be stuck with them at the moment ) I will gladly give them away to anyone who wants them for their tank or fish food. Just let me know.....

i'll give you a call.I am going there in a couple of weeks