First Free Swimmers!

Raven

SUCCESS!!!!

Finally, after almost a year, and so many spawns and all the guarding I've finally seen fry!

And the so TINY!

PIC!

So i have a few concerns.....

I have a fungal something or other going around with some of the fish in the tank. A combination of mouth fungus, body slim/eye cloud, and fin and tail rot. Just finished the 4 doses of treatment of an anti-bacterial fish medication by API called Triple Sulfa. Started treating a few days after the guarding started after the spawn. Wondering if its going to effect them or not, also been wondering if it will effect my suspect pregnant live bearers.

Most heavily effected fish in the tank are the tiger barbs. One died a couple weeks ago, looked aggression related since it was the only female out of the 4 of them, no signs of illness seen. The males have been beating each other up pretty bad since then so i believe the fungus started with them. Its also on the mouth of my male Ameca splendid. I think he got it by nipping the tigers since he's been protective of his mate lately (a suspect pregnant fish). Everyone else including some newbies (put in after signs started, before i thought it was illness related) is fine, so far. Since today is the last dose, and so far it seems i may have to treat the tank again, i don't know what to do with the babies. Oh and the Mom kicked Dad out of the cave, he's been one the opposite side of the tank for 2 days, at first from the way he was acting ( lots of hiding) i thought he was sick too, nothing really seen yet but because this isn't normal for him i still consider it a possibility.

Food for the enter tank is mainly by Nutrafin. Consists of flakes( tropical and spirulina) sinking tablets (spirulina meal) and pleco logs(all of before mentioned is 'max' and now 'basix'), tubifex and blood worms. And in prep for babies i've a staple food for fry. In rotation, 2 or 3 items sometimes just flakes once a day, no food if i plan to clean gravel, do water changes, etc. Should i increase for the kiddos?

Speaking of water changes, tanks due for another tomorrow, and i don't to suck them up. I've a spare 10g fish/reptile tank but fish related equipment hasn't been tested/run in a long time. Any info would be awesome since i wasn't really expecting anything since the parents have a horrible track record.

Thanks!

Congrats! Fry are such a welcomed suprise!

That's unfortunate that you're tank is suffering with those ailments. Since the fry were conceived and hatched in the current environment, I would just leave the fry alone. If you really wanna get the spawning of the pair together, you might try moving the pair to a tank of their own and let them have some peace from the other fish? Idk...just a thought.

I think that when the pair is ready to breed again is a good time to remove the fry...i'm sure there will be many that succumb to predation from other fish if left in the community tank...sometimes that's not such a bad thing though since I do belive that Kribs are like rabbits?

Everything is going good. Fry are double their size, illness almost 100% gone once i switched to a natural based API product. Dad is still in exile, hides so good i thought he was dead, didn't even budge till the bed of the gravel cleaning where i was lifting stuff. Moms pretty fierce makes my think all her babies are going to live.