Baby Rainbowfish

Hippoherder

I was showing my neice some shrimp and snails in my rainbow tank, which only has Pseudomugil gertrudae Eubenangee Swamp in it, when I saw babies/fry scoot across the top of the tank. Didn't do anything special to get them to breed but somehow they laid eggs which weren't eaten by the 100 or so snails or dozens of shrimp and they hatched up :) I also managed to get some eggs on a mop in my other tank. Woo Hoo!!!

Parents are dedicated cannibals. If you were hoping to raise some fry up, you will need to separate them immediately.

Crushed flake and powdered krill will get them by. :thumbs:

I would personally pull the parents as there are likely more eggs where those fry came from. The eggs take around 2 weeks to hatch out, so the idea is when you see your first few fry, yank the parents and over the next couple weeks more and more fry will hatch out.

Those parent will polish off the babies as they hatch.

I was a little pokey getting things rearranged. The fry lasted quite a while and a few more were added but then they were gone this morning. So they were eaten or are hiding in a sea of hornwart. I put a breeder net/cage in the tank and will scoop any future fry I see in there. I have another tank with another gertrude trio and a pair of M. Praecox "Pagai" courtesy of rainbowric. I took the eggs I got from the mops in that tank and tossed them in the spawning net in the other tank. I'll see what happens from here. I have no idea who the eggs are from as I can't guess based on the egg size. The M. Praecox "Pagai" seem to be doing a lot of engaging on the mops sunk on the bottom of the tank - more so than the floating mops. The Gertrudes seem to hover on the bottom as well. Almost all the eggs are from the bottom mops...which may be do to the filter flow being so high (I turned it low today). The flow might also explain why I am only finding bottom eggs.

I'm having fun figuring things out. :)

hhmmm... Gertrudes are doing it on the floating mop as I type this...weird, I thought they were the bottom spawners and the M. Praecox "Pagai" were the floating mop spawners. Oh well - guess there is no law saying they can't go wherever.

Parents are dedicated cannibals. If you were hoping to raise some fry up, you will need to separate them immediately.

Crushed flake and powdered krill will get them by. :thumbs:

I would personally pull the parents as there are likely more eggs where those fry came from. The eggs take around 2 weeks to hatch out, so the idea is when you see your first few fry, yank the parents and over the next couple weeks more and more fry will hatch out.

Those parent will polish off the babies as they hatch.

I have been picking eggs from the spawning mops by hand and tossing them into a fry net in another tank. I stopped seeing them and thought they just disappeared. Over the past two days I've noticed a bunch of black specs all across the bottom of the net. I took one out and it looks like an eyed up egg. So I guess they didn't turn to dust but I just couldn't see a clear, tiny egg on a white background lol. Shrimp must not eat eggs because one climbed into the net and is just eating some golden pearl I toss in there for the fry...which snails are mental for as well.