Keeping Cichlids,sa/ca Vs African

FISHLIPS

i'de like to start by saying i've never kept African cichlids.

i have several diff. sa/ca cichlids and find them fairly easy to care for, i've read many times about keeping africans is a real challenge with their aggression.I read that keeping only males is easier.Even in the LFS stores they seem to be charging one another constantly and i've seen a few streaded up pretty bad.I think keeping up on maintenance is a full time job with my 100gal & 75gal so dealing with trying to keep the peace seems to me to be an extra pain in the @$$.I do agree that africans have a more colorful bunch to pick from but i would put my geophagus up against any african in the beauty department.Everyone in my tanks is peaceful.....severums like to push their weight around but never any injuries.

With Africans it depends what you keep. Peacocks are pretty tame. I kept sulphur heads, copadichromis azerues, yellow labs and German reds together and everyone got along just fine. It was a 125 gallon and I think there were about 25 of them in there. I was worried that there could be some hybrid fry so I always let mom spit in the tank, and the babies got eaten. Mbuna or haps can be a handful at times, or eveen a species only tank. Thought about doing it with the azereus bit never did.

When I started keeping cichlids the best advice I got from the members here was to alter the landscape when ever I added new fish and to use dither fish - top tank level fast swimmers - to distract the cichlids and reduce aggression. I started out using Giant Dianos and now I use Rainbow fish... works great!