Fluval Nano Filter

Okotoks

Just thought I would inform people of what I have for thoughts on my shrimp tanks new filter. After reading excellent reviews, I bought a Fluval Nano filter for roughly $30 last Thursday. After years of owning Fluval 404's and 304's I should have known better. The pump is held on the lower body very weakly. I had to rely on the weight of the pump to hold itself down on the body. The filter material it comes with do not trap fine particles, I had to manufacture my own polishing pad for it. The body containing the filter media is clear plastic and in time the dirty media will be a nasty sight unless you have ornaments/plants hiding it in a corner.

On the plus side, it has a nice spray bar that has a ball valve style of throttle. On 100% open the spray bar puts out enough flow to make a 10 gallon tank into a raging jacuzzi.

This was in a freshwater 10 gallon dwarf shrimp tank. I have no idea if this filter is useable in saltwater.

Is this the same one that comes with the Ebi and Flora kits? If so, I agree it needs work. The intake slits are too large and would easily take in shrimp fry. I also find the flow too high and when turned down, it rattles and makes noise. Too many mods have to be made to make it effective.

Ron

Yes this is the same filter. I am unhappy with the intake slits as well. I actually like having pest snails in my 10 gallon shrimp tank, and this filter keeps sucking them in. Mine doesnt make any noise at all.

• 1 month later...

I have this also. I put some black pantyhose over the intake and will just have to scrape off any detritus build up to keep it effective while still baby shrimp friendly.

Not to mention it's hard to find stuff to shove into the first pocket other than the fluval brand carbon made for this filter which I can't even find anywhere except a couple places from the states online. I tried shoving in pieces of carbon from other fluval kits that I cut up (to help clear a ton of tannins out) and it made a horrible noise and the flow reduced after a while. Other than that I haven't come across any noise but I've heard of it happening lots online. Most can be fixed with wiggling the impeller and reseeding it or reorganizing any non fluval approved media they put in the filter