Salt Creep On Bottom Of The Tank?

TBRSMOM

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes: I have a 46 gallon bow front fish tank and last week I added a container of aquarium salt, with holes in the top (appropriate to tank size) to help combat some flashing that was happening with my fish. A few days after adding the salt, I noticed what looked to me, like salt creep happening on the front of the tank, right in the middle of the bow on the bottom of the tank. It appeared between the glass and the bottom brace. I have since scraped it away but in the back of my mind I am worried about a slow leak. Where this had occurred, there doesn't seem to be any moisture per se, that is to say if I put a tissue on it, it doesn't come up wet. I also have a glass lid on the tank and the bubbler is far enough away from the front of the tank that it should not cause any moisture to come off the top and down the front of the glass. I haven't seen it come back...yet, but if it does, should I prepare for the worst?

If anyone has experienced this phenomena before and can give me some advice that would be great! Thanks!

Is your water level at the trim? If it is, sometimes water will wick up and over if it isn't properly sealed( most aren't) and evaporate leaving hard water residue behind. not necessarily salt like that which you put in. Also look around and behind the tank for traces of water flowing down as the water may come down somewhere else and flow to the front.

Thanks Nautilus, for the quick reply! :)

Now that you mention it, I did an 25% water change before I added my container of aquarium salt and when replacing the water got it a bit close to the top. I also inspected the back of the tank and noticed some drippage (is that a word ;) ) down the back where the bubbler hose comes into the tank.

So I think what I am going to do is take out some water, clean the glass, trim etc... and maybe turn down the bubbler (?) to see if it comes back. Good plan? Any other ideas?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!