Rescue Plant And Fun Poll

ty_s

rescue plant  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So i rescued some Nesaea red from a guy it was just shock.gifunhappysad.gif in his setup. It was slowly dieing lots of brown leafs falling off vary little new growth at all just sick and unhappy it went in my tank a week ago Monday May 2 2011

IMG_20110502_170332.jpg

do i have the name right ?

will post a updated photos when i get home hear next week.

some info i just found

NESAEA SP. 'RED LEAVED'

Hardiness: Very Difficult

Light Needs: High

Plant Structure: Stem

Family: Lythraceae

Genus: Nesaea

Region: Africa

Size: Stem width: 3-5cm (1-2in)

Growth Rate: Medium

Can Be Grown Emersed: Yes

Description:

Nesaeasp. 'Red Leaved' is a small, marsh dwelling herb from West Africa where it can usually be found growing emersed. This striking red plant is not too popular in the trade, perhaps due to the difficulty of long term success. However, it can be easily obtained through stores that regularly import plants from southeast Asia.

This Nesaea sp. is perhaps one of the most difficult to grow stem plants in the entire hobby. It requires intensive lighting (3 watts per gallon or more) and consistent CO2 levels in the 25-30 ppm range. A disciplined, consistent fertilization regimen including nitrate, phosphate, and iron additions is absolutely essential for long term success. Nitrate should be kept moderate (5-15 ppm) and phosphate levels should be kept high (1-2 ppm). Iron and micronutrient fertilization should be added daily to every other day as per the needs of the aquarium. Substrate fertilization seems to be beneficial, perhaps explaining why this species has such a large root system for a stem plant. Remember, consistency is the key as this plant takes a long time to recover from stunting.

When growing well, N. sp. 'Red Leaved' is a striking, small red plant that will sprout both vertical and horizontal stems. However, it will not produce new growth in any hurry�growth is slow. If the need for trimming does arise, simply trim off any excess growth with a pair of scissors. The plant will quickly produce new side shoots.

The striking red growth of this Nesaea sp., coupled with its relatively small size, make it an excellent choice for adding color to the midground in small to medium sized aquariums. Although it is beautifully colored, this red stem plant can only be recommended to the hobbyist who is willing to put in the extra time and effort.

Edited by ty_s

I would guess that it's likely Nesea crassicaulis or N. pedicellata (you'd have to let it flower to be sure.) Ammania gracilis also looks similar, but what I can see of the new pink shoot appears more like a Nesea.

If I see correctly there is new growth on the far left stem. Is good 'ja ?

With stem plants see every node as a individual plant.

Humour me - and plant one of those horizontaly.

If they take, it will be the horizontal stem that achieves the highest mass.

P1170554.jpg

If I see correctly there is new growth on the far left stem. Is good 'ja ?

With stem plants see every node as a individual plant.

Humour me - and plant one of those horizontaly.

If they take, it will be the horizontal stem that achieves the highest mass.

there was a tiny bit of new growth in the tank it was in before

Is good 'ja ? what?

i can move one next week when i get home and put it horizontally will this work for all stem plants?

if i take a long stem and plant it in a shape will i get a up shoot at each node in the shape i plant it?

I would say most stem plants can be propagated in this fashion - I know of none that cannot. Although some volunteer more readily then others.

The photo I posted above is of one stem. I stretched it across the substrate to give each node a spot in the sun. There are now nine or so good crowns, all of which could be trimmed and replanted.

On your plant we can see new growth @ each section; the ones below each shaded by the one above. No-one would consider buying half a dozen potted plants and stacking them one atop the other. By putting it down flat each little baby gets a full shot 'o sun.

I've killed that plant(nesea) twice already. It's doing okay now but is in a very high light tank(6 watts per gallon) with CO2 and lots of ferts.