Apple Snails

jackel38

so as the title says im trying to breed apple snails i know they are not hermaprodites so i do need a male and a female but the pet store i grabbed then from said they are im just curious on if there is nething special i have to do to get them to mate water temp etc

thx

Jackel

As far as I know as long as they're fed well (snail jello is great for them!) and are generally healthy, they should mate. Make sure the top of the water is an inch or so from the top of the tank. They lay their eggs out of the water. If you don't leave that bit of room, they may try to leave the tank to lay the eggs, and that wouldn't be good for them. Good luck with the breeding! :)

Edited by DragonNeko

Snello is a homemade snail food. It's really easy to make and the ingredients are all available at most grocery stores. Though I'm not sure what part of the store the Gelatin would be in...baking I guess. I've yet to make it, but I'm going to try tomorrow. When I tell my parents I'm using their kitchen to make food for my snails, I'll likely get some strange looks, lol I've gotta find where I put the recipe though. I put it somewhere among all my aquarium supplies, lol Should take me no more than a few minutes to find it. You can PM me for the recipe if you'd like. I got it from Sprucegruve, but I'm not sure how much to give per snail, you'd have to ask him about that. If you feed them snello, you'll have happy and healthy snails that breed faster than rabbits, lol

the recipe is super easy.

1.5 packets of knox gelatin (unflavoured) - the original recipe calls for just one packet, but i found it didn't set as well and the extra half packet does the trick.

1 jar baby food - not the big jar, but the 'regular' size one (i use the butternut squash and my shellkids loved it)

about 10 to 12 Tums, crushed to a fine powder (i used the tropical fruit flavoured ones). this is your calcium source. you can use more Tums if you want, it's difficult to overdose a snail on calcium, lol.

crushed up fish food (about equal to the amount of crushed Tums) - optional, and your choice of food. just don't use frozen food as there is too much moisture and the snello won't set properly. my snails were spoiled and got crushed up NLS pellets in their snello, lol.

first, crush the Tums and fish food and set aside.

second, microwave the baby food in a bowl for about a minute on high.

third, mix in the knox gelatin, ensuring there are no clumps and it is mixed in well

fourth, stir in the crushed tums and fish food.

spoon into an ice cube tray (for just a few snails, make each cube about 1/3 to 1/2 full, for more snails, make full cubes)

fifth, put ice cube tray in freezer

sixth, once cubes are set fully, pry them out (you'll need a spoon!) and plop them in a ziploc and put ziploc back in freezer.

snello keeps a LONG time in the freezer. heck, i think i still have a few cubes left from a batch i made around february last year, lol, and they are still good.

feed one cube (whatever size you made) per 3 or 4 snails every 3 days or so. i would just drop the frozen cubes right in the tank - snello-cicles! lol.

Edited by BettaFishMommy