Metal Halide

Darren88

Hey Darren,

I have a 48x22x17 reef tank and I am running dual 250W HQI with the Galaxy ballast and the Lumenmax Elite Pendants. I am using the Phoenix 14K bulbs as well. I have the pendants suspended about 14" above the tank, thats the top of the pendant.

I am finding this to bee too much punch as my zoanthids and some LPS have bleached a little, but if I put them at the bottom they are okay. I am going to swap my Lumenmax pendants for the new Hamilton Cayman sun which should spread my light out a little more. Right now my pendants are 10" deep so it really concentrates the light.

I think on a 120 a MH would work great you just have to be careful what your using. Go with a shallower fixture and be able to adjust the pendant height if you need to.

I used to be a big fan of T5HO but after going to MH I havent looked back. I plan on adding and LED supplement this winter to add to the amazing color "pop" the Phoenix bulbs already have.

I'm sure you could grow most everything with 2x175 but you could probably go 2x250 but getting it balanced could be a nightmare. You could just raise is a couple feet though.

Depends how much co2 and ferts you wanna pound it with.

I'm thinking of using MH as well on my 165 gallon that is 22" deep. But the cost will likely be upwards of $5-600 and I can DIY a LED fixture for around $700. No bulbs to change, way more powerful, less power used and I can still get the shimmer. Plus that fully fading sunrise/ sunset would be nice.

MH would be quick and easy though. T5H0 work, but they just look so flat.

The high light myth , , , based on a theory which many have proved not the case..So its kind of an old way of thinking but many still use these methods..

I totally agree but all we can do is try to change their minds one post at a time.....

I would do 2 x 150 or 175 watt.

I'm sure you could grow most everything with 2x175 but you could probably go 2x250 but .

I was thinking of adding a MH fixture

I'm thinking of using MH as well MH would be quick and easy though. T5H0 work, but they just look so flat.

the problem i have is when you make these statements is that

You forgot to check on your shoes today. I saw them over there , , , on the other side of the fence. -ham-

hahahaha just creeping in the shadows...ubr0ke makes me soooooo mad imma show em....hahaha...

take my words out of context if it makes you feel even...

par measures light not fixture type..so i dont even know what your argument is here...ada mh's are medium light at best....I never mentioned anything about brand/watts/distance so in knowing what i preach why assume high light....

Shipping Payment Returns Other Info ket_3.jpgMHBasic48_2010_400x900.jpg 48" Metal Halide / T5 608WThis MH 48" fixture is The light for saltwater / reef setups. A space saving combo unit combines 2x 250W HQI metal halide, 2x 54W Actinic Blue T5 HO lamps, and 3x Bluemoon LED in one single unit. This unit features external HQI controller, removable cooling fan, and anodized aluminum housing. Individual power cords and power switches maximizes usability and timer ready! Extendable brackets reaches a maximum length of 52.00" Features:
  • Dimensions - 47.75” x 11.00” x 3.25”
  • Dimensions w/brackets - 50.50” x 11.00” x 5.25”
  • Total wattage: 608W
  • Supports 2x 250W HQI lamps
  • Supports 2x 54W T5 lamps
  • Supports 3x Bluemoon LED
  • Individual power cords for each function
  • Quick Disconnect external ballasts
  • Non-corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
  • Removable cooling fan
  • Mounting brackets extends up to 52"
  • Glass splash guard