Pearl Shrimp

Caprichoso

Hey all,

I bought some India Pearl shrimp a couple of weeks ago and put them in my 140g community tank. I'm thinking that because of their mottled appearance, some of my fish seemed wayyy too interested in them (especially my Emperor Tetras). The shrimp are on the larger size so I thought they would be fine in my tank, plus they have small "pincers" as well that they would raise to any fish that got too close to them. I have Rhino shrimp and some small Amano in the tank as well and none of the fish pay them any mind and they are smaller than the Pearl Shrimp.

A few days ago I couldn't find 1 of them. I started with 4 in total. I started to get worried but these shrimp really blend in to the gravel and are very hard to see. Upon inspection of the ones I could find, one of them was laying on the bottom twitching and my big male Emperor was hovering over and another one was suddenly missing legs and a pincer on one side! Poor thing! I know one of my fish did it and I suspect the Emperors. Anyway, I removed them from my tank and put them in my "shrimps only" tank. The one died but the other two are now doing really well.

I just wanted to put this out there as these are not common shrimp here and I know that someone out there bought the rest of them at the lfs I got them from. I'm pretty sure the other one is dead as I've been unable to find him and I don't want anyone else that bought these to lose a $10 shrimp. I guess in this situation, size does not matter and they were too appealing to the fish.

Thanks for reading