Rainbow Cichilid

425nm

Anyone ever kept these guys?

I have read they're reasonably peaceful. Possibly peaceful enough to keep with my Geophagus jurapari in my 75 gallon?

Do they do better in larger numbers? Various numbers have come up in my research, none of them very consistent.

I used to have a pair and raised up a bunch of babies. They are a great small colorful cichlid. I found mine quite shy and they paired well with community type fish. They could be assertive when protecting their young but they never really damaged any fish, the most I saw was some chasing.

You don' think they'd do better kept in larger groups? A few sites say they need to be kept in large groups, ~8.

I used to have a pair and raised up a bunch of babies. They are a great small colorful cichlid. I found mine quite shy and they paired well with community type fish. They could be assertive when protecting their young but they never really damaged any fish, the most I saw was some chasing.

Personally I don't see why they would need to be in a group as they form pairs. I started with 5 in hopes I could keep them all but then they started pairing up. The rainbows didn't mind other community fish but they were constantly chasing each other, especially when one pair had eggs. Also the poor 5th rainbow was pretty stressed as it didn't have a mate. So I sold a pair and the extra one and only kept 1 pair. After that they were much more calm and got along great in my community tank.

A group of 8+ might work ok as there is enough fish to spread out any aggression but you will probably end up with multiple pairs fighting each other all the time, unless you have a big enough tank so each one gets its own territory.

So if you are putting them in a large tank then you can probably get away with a couple pairs but I had mine in a planted 56g(3') and they didn't really get along.

If they can be kept in pairs all the easier. I am hoping to put a pair in a 75gallon that I am working on planting. Aquarium adviser was actually the site telling me that I would have to keep them in groups of 8.

Personally I don't see why they would need to be in a group as they form pairs. I started with 5 in hopes I could keep them all but then they started pairing up. The rainbows didn't mind other community fish but they were constantly chasing each other, especially when one pair had eggs. Also the poor 5th rainbow was pretty stressed as it didn't have a mate. So I sold a pair and the extra one and only kept 1 pair. After that they were much more calm and got along great in my community tank.

A group of 8+ might work ok as there is enough fish to spread out any aggression but you will probably end up with multiple pairs fighting each other all the time, unless you have a big enough tank so each one gets its own territory.

So if you are putting them in a large tank then you can probably get away with a couple pairs but I had mine in a planted 56g(3') and they didn't really get along.

A pair will do great in a 75g. They should get along with any other community fish.

I had mine in a planted tank with a angelfish, loaches, tetras, SAE, and plecos. I'd definitely recommend some type of dither fish like a tetra. It helped mine be less skittish and not hide so much. Previously I had them in a 30g without any other fish and they would scare at the slightest movement by their tank. In the 56g they were much more confident and always swimming around.

They are one of my favorite fish. They get fantastic coloring when breeding and are a great little peaceful cichlid for a community tank.

Good luck with your 75g

Thanks very much for the advice 04.gif

A pair will do great in a 75g. They should get along with any other community fish.

I had mine in a planted tank with a angelfish, loaches, tetras, SAE, and plecos. I'd definitely recommend some type of dither fish like a tetra. It helped mine be less skittish and not hide so much. Previously I had them in a 30g without any other fish and they would scare at the slightest movement by their tank. In the 56g they were much more confident and always swimming around.

They are one of my favorite fish. They get fantastic coloring when breeding and are a great little peaceful cichlid for a community tank.

Good luck with your 75g