Sulawesi Shrimp

DJay

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone local has any first hand experience with any of the varieties of Sulawesi shrimp. I've read a little about them and in general they seem to prefer an alkaline pH (~8) and higher temps (80 F) and need established aquaria with very good water quality (R/O water?). I noticed the lfs had some Starry Night (orchid) Sulawesi shrimp and have thought about picking some up, but want to do a little more research before shelling out the $20 per shrim being asked. Any help appreciated. I would love to be able to track down some of the other brighter red varieties too (Cardinal or Harlequin)

Thanks!

Edited by DJay

I had to hold back on buying them myself lol...yeah, they are really delicate! If you get some, keep us posted on how you do with them. I bought some Pearl and Vampire shrimp recently and should probably chill out with the shrimp buying for a bit....but it's so tempting to get more!

• 2 weeks later...

Nope and probably will not either.

But I think Calgary and Edmonton may have a bit of an advantage when it comes to Sulawesi shrimps due to our naturally hard water, but thats just a hypothesis.

On my last group order that I organized for Canadian Aquatics, I picked up 10 of the white orchid shrimps (aka starry night). I lost one in the bag and the rest survived. I'm not sure how many I have left, but I know I still have some. I even thought I saw a baby once last week. They are in with my yellows and OEBT's both of which are breeding in the tank.

• 10 months later...

Hello mates, Sulawesi shrimp are awesome, I myself think of importing some CB from Indonesia, but shipping its going to kill me. Anyone interested in a group order? I have their list prices + their policy. I my self want to get some spongicolas( the ones that don't require sponges to survive) blue leg poso, Red lines, etc. I'm setting up a Sulawesi 50 gallon tank soon next month.

Anyway, if we could organize a group order that will be great. I've been in touch itch this seller for already months. And he also sells fish plants snails etc. I'll post the list as soon as I'm close to my pc