Bushy-Nosed Pleco Food

425nm

I'm fairly certain it is the asperic acid in that particular food that caused the problem. It may not cause all fish to blow up with gas but it sure showed that some of the L240's had a very negative response. It wasn't that they found the flavour undesirable either - ate it with gusto and then suffered the consequences later.

I just wanted to put this out there so no one else found out too late that their fish all blew up. You certainly don't

want to be doing unnecessary experiments with new foods on any fish let alone the more expensive ones. It was sure a shocker to me and Jorg.

Aspartic acid is vitamin C. Its unlikely that it was the problem. In humans its cause by Raffinose which is a sugar our digestive tract cannot break down however bacteria in our gut can break down producing gas.

I actually meant to say asparagusic acid which is found only in asparagus as far as I could find out. Just a guess on my part about it being the culprit since it is not found in other veggies and since the plecos didn't appear to have a problem with any others including potato, at least 4 types of squashes and the regular zucchinis, green beans, peas, etc.

Ah, well its possible. I believe that is what causes your urine to smell funny after eating asparagus. I am told green beans are like pleco crack, haven't tried them yet myself.

And now, time for the commercial break; in my house I eat all the veggies and my plecos get "critter crumbs" aka "fish crack", homemade food from Pamelajo in ontario. My "suckface" guys love it!!