Discus Tank Setup. Opinions Needed

Hey guys I'm going to be setting up my 150 gallon soon(72L18W29T).I'm going to start with 5-6 discus and wait for a pair to form.

I will be running a eheim pro 3 1200xl filter(it is rated for 320 gallons with a output of 450gph).and I also plan on having a HOB AC 110 filter.And two 150w elite heaters.

here is my problem, I have talked to alot of different people that raise or breed discus and I keep getting differnt opinions about substrate.

Some people say use none and others have said use 3inches and have a planted tank and others have said too much substrate and bad bacteria can grow. I need to talk to someone that breeds or has bred discus in the past.

I don't know what to believe, I know discus can pick up parasites really easily but I keep my tanks really clean so the idea of bad bacteria building up doesn't worry me that much.

looking forward to hearing from everyone.

NOTE- I will choose lighting after I decide if the tank is planted.

Thanks for the info I'll go bare bottom with differnt types of java fern attached to wood.

Probably just a couple of my nicer pieces of wood

And since I'm going slightly planted I'll probably use a couple HO T5 dual bulb fixtures.

One thing to keep in mind is that a bare bottom is definitely the best option for a breeding setup but you will have a hard time raising any fry in your main tank with other adult discus in there. You simply cannot keep the water quality good enough for breeding.

I agree with Blue Ram, if you are wanting to breed discus than set up another tank for doing so. MAke a nice show tank for them until they pair up and then seperate for breeding. Are you using soft water on this tank? Discus need soft water for breeding and to have there eggs hatch. i was also doing daily water changes on my breeding tank. The big show tanks i have are alright with a gravel substraigt but i vacume the gravel and water change quite regularly.

I hope this helps.