Frontosa Tank Mates

rchristensen114

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part choose other tank mates that are relatively slower moving. Stay away from more active fish as the fronts don't like it. You also have to remember that fronts are piscivores by nature and may occasionally eat fish that have been with them for a long time. I've seen 1st hand big males all of a sudden eating 5" plecos for example that had been with them for several years.

I've had colonies of goldhead compressiceps and black calvus in tanks with large fronts and they got along fine for the most part but even a few of those ended up being beaten up. Big fish like blue dolphins are a good choice - get large and are slower moving. I've got bichirs in with some of my mature fronts and they don't appear to mind them either.

If you plan on breeding the fronts your choices of tank mates is very important. If there are fish present that could end up being egg eaters the females may hesitate to even lay or may try a time or two and then stop if other fish interupt the breeding process. That is very likely the reason for the males eating or attacking the other fish in the tank for no apparent reason. If breeding is a priority I would suggest leaving the fronts in the tank by themselves - at least until they have started to breed. Then you could add a few other types of fish and see if the breeding continues.

• 5 months later...