First Freshwater Photography Attempt

Hippoherder

Wow, I have a new appreciation for all the great shots I have seen on here. I have about 40 blurry pictures and maybe 3 that look in focus. These are a couple of the fish I got at the auction. I beleive they are Red eye, hi fin, lyretail swordtails. I'm calling them Jaws and Mongo

Here is Mongo

Here is Jaws

I was trying to get some pictures of some rainbows and ricefish, but all I got is color streak, action shots lol. Its a start :)

First thing i did was go out and get these guys a couple of girlfriends but from what I have been reading, I don't think they will be passing their genetics on anytime soon.

Can't find the link yet but here is a quote from a discussion on breeding them:

"Male lyretail swordtails are incapable of reproducing. The mutation that causes the extended fins also causes the anal fin to become extremely elongated and there by not able to function properly. So male high fin lyretails while incredibly beautiful are completely useless for breeding. You have to use standard fin or high fin males with the lyretail females to get babies. "

I had read that they couldn't breed because of an overdeveloped gonopodium ... not sure what is true.

I can tell you my males have absolutely no interest in the females in my tank.

could somebody please link the articles regarding this swordtail type not being able to breed? i'm quite interested in reading them! thanks.