Bulb

troni

I bought a gro bulb for my tank a month ago so I could get some plants going. I switched the bulbs from in the back to the front and while I was doing that the end cap ( the metal piece) on the bulb popped off. Like a cat I quickly put it back on. I finished install the bulbs and tried it and its working. Does anyone see a problem with this?

The cathodes are sealed inside the tube troni. Wire leads extend through the glass end and connect to the metal pins in the end cap. The end cap that keeps the pins rigid are attached to or pressed on the end ot the tube. But the end cap doesn't seal the glass tube.

So it's possible to knock the end cap off (even sever the wires between the cathode and the metal pins) without *increasing your dosage of Hg*. Your light still works, so you didn't break wires... or if you did, you managed to put the cap back on just right - good thing fish don't fart.

Fluorescent tubes are typically pressured just under 1 psi. If the tube is cracked, the gas will eventually leak out and your light will fail. In time, your fish will don leather wrist bands, studded chokers, and succomb to head banging. You won't be immune.

*IMO Thin Lizzy, Quiet Riot and Nazareth are certified safe sources of heavy metal. Play safe; wear headphones.

Edited by Fisher