New Too The Aquatica World

pijwee

Hello,

I am brand new to this other then my few Gold Fish and Beta fish over my years\.

I am looking to get a larger tank for my kids should I start with a 10 gallon or would a 33 gallon be manageable for a newbie?

I would love to get some Zebra fish and small frogs and (I'm not sure what they are called) but a yellow fish that has a snout like face.

Any help or advice would be great!!

Thanks

Biggest you can afford for what you're willing to spend imo (not just the tank but the whole setup together). Anything over a 55G seems to be easier to maintain in general for a newb. My first tank (18G) was an absolute disaster considering I knew nothing about the Nitrogen Cycle, left the tank in the sunlight all day, had it underfiltered and had it heavily overstocked. Work it around your budget, get a good filter (high gph turnover) and read about the hobby as much as possible as it can be a very rewarding. I'm still a newb 2 years in now but have learned a few things the hard way.

be Welcomed!

I am looking to get a larger tank for my kids should I start with a 10 gallon or would a 33 gallon be manageable for a newbie?

People sucessfully keep fish in both pijwee. And there are good lessons to learn with either sized tank. Be patient, plan your first steps and proceed with you're ready and yes, read about "cycling". Since you have living goldfish and a betta, you probably already deal with this to some extent.

You'll find some helpful folks here ;)

(I'm not sure what they are called) but a yellow fish that has a snout like face.

I'm guessing here... plunk "yellow tang" in your search engine and see if that's the fish you're referring to.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

And yes Fisher, The other Yellow Tangs are what I am looking for!! Thank you so much!! I've never known what they were called before, I just love the look of them. Now I must research and see if they'll be compatiable with the rest of my favorites :D

Now I must research and see if they'll be compatiable with the rest of my favorites

:thumbs: Researching compatible tankmates is always time well spent.

Some incompatibilities can be reconciled in the same tank... some can't (which can lead to mts)

Have fun; post pictures!

Edited by Fisher

• 2 weeks later...