Ameca Frustration

Raven

Huh, guess I'll have to see if the cooler temp better set the mood. Them two do the 'sexy,sexy' quite a bit. Any one know at what point in their gestation that their condition become apparent? Seems to be the hardest thing to track down on Google.

Any one know at what point in their gestation that their condition become apparent?

This one is for sure

P1120449.jpg Other than that - like you said; sometimes hard to tell.

After completing the birthing process the female looks absolutely emaciated. Thats uasully the signal to start looking for fry.

Is this pair still in a community tank?

Is it possible the fry are immediately consumed by the other tank mates?

• 4 weeks later...

They are in a comunity tank, the 50g mentions in my sig.

Been feeding them sliced zuccini. a slice nearing a full cm thick is almost completily consumed in less then 24 hours. Pigs. though the pleco does help them out a bit.

That one lokks quiet squre.... if i could tell when shens close i could pen her...

Raven >> 50G - 1 Tiger Barbs, 1 Diamond Tetras, 7 Congo Tetras, 1 Mystery Snail 3+ Babies(1 fs/t), 1 (F)P.pulchers & 2 (M)Juvies (1 fs/t), 1 BN Pleco, 2 Ameca splendids, 2 Albino Cories.

If this is the tank you've got them in I'm pretty sure of the reason you've got no fry. Barbs and tetras are prolific fry eaters and can be stressing the spawning pair. Snails, pleco and the albino corys will take out the eggs, can we say lunch. Is it at all possible to set up a nursery tank with just the parents in it. Let them do the deed and remove them after the eggs have dropped. Better results are guaranteed since you've been researching their breeding patterns.

If this is the tank you've got them in I'm pretty sure of the reason you've got no fry. Barbs and tetras are prolific fry eaters and can be stressing the spawning pair. Snails, pleco and the albino corys will take out the eggs, can we say lunch. Is it at all possible to set up a nursery tank with just the parents in it. Let them do the deed and remove them after the eggs have dropped. Better results are guaranteed since you've been researching their breeding patterns.

Amecas don't work like that, they are live bearers. And the fry they give birth to are fairly large, huge in comparision to something more familiar like a guppy fry. Most fish reportedly leave Ameca fry alone, and snails, plecos, and cory are no threat to them. I have even created areas/hides to small for most of the other fish to get into to increase survival if they are at least being born.

• 5 weeks later...

I do have some floating Camoba stuff, but the pair eats it and it's now slowly dissappearing. Haven't had much luck growing lilies... i kill them. lol.