Any Tips On Cyps.

kdogg

I've had a group of cyp. leptsoma for a while now and they just won't spawn! The male dances around herding the female but no holding females. There are 4f and 1m in a 125 gal. feeding white worms every second day, ken's fish flake twice a day, 25 gal sump packed with media, lots of open water and no spawning. I had one female hold a few months ago but I lost her as I tried to strip her ( she died in the net before I had the chance to strip her actually). The females are all around the same age so they should be mature. Any thoughts as why I have no spawning.

I would think you need more Cyps. in the tank, they prefer groups and for sure another male. Right now the females aren't being courted, no 2 or 3 males vying for the chance to mate with her, just the one meat ball male who is trying to get it on all the time. The ladies like the courting, wooing, competition between other males, the show. The male with the best colors, or possibly physical strength, whatever a female Cyp. looks for in a potential mate, and what he has to offer with his genes. Maybe if a prime female could possibly see more males, she may find that the first guy isn't that much of a meat ball afterall.....lol.

How big is the tank? What else is in the tank?

I have 3 small calvus a colony of 3 multi's on one side and Petrocolis cats. I lost my other male it managed to find the 1/2 inch gap in the glass canopy and baked on the glass. I had more females too but slowly died off from a mystery ailment that has since cleared up. Its tough finding cyps here and have had trouble with successful shipping. Don't think it was shippers fault just had a rough ride and I've heard they don't ship well from a few sources. I'm in Regina Sask. and They're yellow tail leptsoma.

Edited by kdogg

Spencer Jack could send u some easy enough if he has them. I have found that they are a great dither fish. Gets everyone out and about. Maybe your females just aren't interested. I would be patient. Once they do finally start I bet they won't stop.