Media For Eheim 2215 = Fluval Fx-5

blink

I was wandering around the big box petstore tonight, killing time and waiting for my woman and gravitating to the filter and stuff aisle. Looking around at the mostly Hagen products I spot the FX-5 canister media and noticed it was about the same size as the refills for my Eheim 2215. Hmm, says I, that's interesting.

Then I noticed the price, well, for $5 per box of 3 fine filter pads and $6 per box of water polishing pads I had to bring some home to check out.

They fit.

Should be an interesting test, I'll try to remember to keep this updated.

I'm not sure if this is a revelation or one of those trade secrets but a quick google while standing in the store deliberating it didn't turn anything up so I figured I'd give it a shot :)

Grab some quilt batting from a fabric shop. Get a huge bag for $10 and will last many filter changes...It's not some super fine floss but it's not as open as burlap either. Someone had once said fabric store floss was not hermetically factory sealed and cannot be trusted...however for as long as I've been using it, i've never had a problem. I've put my foot down long ago to stop paying those high prices for a perfectly pre-measured block of floss in a neat plastic bag.

Take a look at that option too, can save even more. :)

I hate trying to cut circles out of filter floss :) For me the $5-6 is worth it in spades, but that being said, I've Never seen filter media that was sealed well enough to be considered sterile, not even the $17/pad Eheim junk. Going a bit further, I've never seen an aquarium that was sealed well enough for it to matter lol