Question Regarding Watts Used - T5 Ho Fixtures

ckmullin

I'm curious if anyone has the ability to measure the watts used for their t5 ho fixture. My fixture has specs of 216w (4x54w) and it reads when all four are lit only 152 watts. My first date with a 5t ho fixture so dunno if this is correct or if the fixture is wonky. I use this product to measure and it's proven to be accurate and reliable in the past, so I have no reason to think it's wrong. http://www.canadiant...nergy Meter.jsp

so...whatcha think? do your spec watts align with the actual drawn watts?

ty for the view!

Keep in mind wattage is derived from voltage (v) and current (I). So to keep it simple W=V*I

Then factor in any capacitive or reactive load that the ballast adds which will give you your power factor, which essentially will be losses your little gizmo won't see. It will not deduct or add the power factor losses.

So to get a true reading without the triganomitry you could meter the sockets, but wouldnt recomend unless you have a meter rated for the voltage the lamp runs at. So I wouldn't try that one at home.

So, the easiest way to say how it works, is 'it's magic'

Mmmm ice cap. Lol

Another couple things, the max power would be the most it would put out, including starting a cold lamp. Once warmed up that would drop. Kinda like fuel economy when accelerating versus cruising at speed.

Edited by Jayba

Is this your Oddysea fixture? It's likely driving them at NO. You should be pulling 112 watts plus change for waste and the fans.

I just got a DIY "Good enough par meter" today that I can use to measure your par. I want to gather as much info as possible about different light sources.

Edited by jcgd