Snakehead Caught In Burnaby Pond

Dumba**es releasing non-native species are going to mess up the whole deal for all the other responsible aquarists.......if you don't want one of you fish, find it a home, or as a last resort euthanize it....but releasing it into a non native habitat is way beyond a bad idea!!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/snakehead-fish-nowhere-seen-sweep-burnaby-b-c-205306862.html

It is funny how to catch one snakehead in a little pond they took one whole month, like ten people and god knows how much tax money they wasted. It was also very interesting that the whole pond had only non native species.

I can only imaging what would happen if a pair of snakeheads managed to breed in a local river.

Perhaps the government should be more concern about oil spills in local rivers, and the environmental impact of the oil industry on the local environments, that the impact of a lonely fish in a pond full of invasive species :lol:

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

Perhaps they should just straight up ban snake heads. Same goes for hygro polysperma, etc. If it wreaks havok then it's not worth it just so a handful of people can have it. Same goes for endangered species.

Edited by jcgd

Perhaps the government should be more concern about oil spills in local rivers, and the environmental impact of the oil industry on the local environments, that the impact of a lonely fish in a pond full of invasive species :lol:

It's only one pond until it isn't. Not even close to similar issues.

Number of native species killed by a lonely snakehead in a bc pond = 0

Number of native species killed by oil spill near red deer river = Too many to count not to mention the permanent damage to the land.

Just watch the video :P

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/06/09/calgary-sundre-oil-spill-update.html

But of course oil production won't be ban, or the safety procedures improved. Lets instead ban a lonely fish :)

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

I get what you're saying, but I'm saying they are two different issues with different dangers barriers. You simply are not going to stop oil production. Even if we should, it's not gonna happen. As far as a single thing running the world, oil is it. I still thing we should fight it, and the environmental dangers, but oil use ins't going to stop regardless.

Snakeheads will plague rivers and other bodyways. You end up having to kill everything in order to kill the snakeheads, so that any else has a chance to reclaim. Just read the destruction they've cause elsewhere. Sure, it's a different, and smaller issue, but we can actually do something about it. We can't ignore issues just because there are other one that are deemed bigger.

We aren't going to ignore women's rights just because there is still racism. You need to fight both battles.

I am not a woman, but from your post I got the impression that you think, women's rights are a smaller issue than racism :cry:

The priorities of our society and governments are non-sense.

These are the laws of nature: If a predator kills all of its prey, it goes extinct, because it will starve to dead. The number of prey always limits the number of predators. Almost all fish eat other fish.

For me it is very interesting to see how the media can create and non issue, blow it out of proportion, and get some believers. While at the same time I see Alison Redford saying on the news that the spill is not a big deal, and everything is ok :)

Then I see people thinking, we should turn off the candles instead of fighting the fire. The human mind is fascinating; but sadly, at the same time, so easy to condition and control.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl

I knew you were gonna comment on that. No, I don't think women's rights are less important. Not at all. I almost typed the opposite sentence but figured you'd know what I mean. They are different issues that need to be addressed. Ironically, because there shouldn't be an issue at all. Two issues created by those fascinating minds, that have been conditioned and controlled.

You think it's a non issue. I disagree. It's not the laws of nature at work... we are placing that animals there, they aren't naturally moving there. Snake heads are so bad that they are almost like humans in how they take over. They annihilate ecosystems.

Edited by jcgd

The fact that we feel entitle to ban certain species to protect the environment at the same time that we destroy it, is pure hypocrisy.

Snakeheads are not bad or human like, they are just misunderstood and satanized. I saw in the news last weekend that two huskies attacked a little girl in calgary. Nobody is talking about banning them. We are just unfair and illogical on the way we favour some species and segregate others using our laws.

Edited by Quetzalcoatl