Canister Filter

saltynuts

asking about what type of filter media? anything that holds a good amount of nitrifying bacteria. bioballs, floss etc, the typical.

if you have another tank handy which is problem free, grab some of that media and throw it in your tank. do this to jump start the process.

I've always done this method with great success.

asking about what type of filter media? anything that holds a good amount of nitrifying bacteria. bioballs, floss etc, the typical.

if you have another tank handy which is problem free, grab some of that media and throw it in your tank. do this to jump start the process.

I've always done this method with great success.

1+

i have seen people decorate a tank,fill it,setup filters,grab a sponge from a cycled tank.

2-3 good squishes of the sponge then they added fish 5 mins later

no losses,fish seemed a little stressed but fine

on my discus tank im running 2x aquaclear 110s,and a eheim pro 3 2080

i do so many water changes(70% every 2days)i dont see a need for carbon.

but if i know i will be skipping a water change for one day i will add a little carbon in the filter(barebottom tank,no plants to clean it).

i figure pack those filters with as much bioballs and floss as possible,every week clean your filters slightly,in a discus tank lots of uneaten food gets sucked up and can rot in your filter causing bad water.

you have to think that some people have so much filtration on a discus tank that if there was something rotting in the filter, your ''clean'' water will pass by it up to 10X per hour

also i have never seen this before but a reputable source told me that too much carbon in a tank can cause discus to have lateral line disease