Plant Ids And More Questions

MrsFard

Hi all was hoping you guys could tell me what I bought...

http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/yashaviolet/fish%20stuff/?action=view&current=DSC04323.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/yashaviolet/fish%20stuff/DSC04322.jpg

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/yashaviolet/fish%20stuff/DSC04324.jpg

and what is the best way to get them to grow as much as possible? I have the fluval flora kit, florish, root tabs.

Have no idea how to do C02, or if I even really want to. is there anyway I can rig the c0s thing into the flter so I dont have to use the ugly diffuser? is it even worth the effort? going to get excel too and maybe just use that. I would like it as low tech/ natural but lush with plants as possible.

:) thanks

I'm not sure on the plant species but yes there's definitely ways to add co2 without an "ugly diffuser" in the tank. If you're running an HOB filter you can slip the end of the co2 tube straight into the intake or if you're using a canister filter you can get an inline atomizer (which is actually the best way to diffuse your co2 anyways). Co2 is most definitely worth the effort if you have the cash to pony up for it, it's a little pricey to setup but the results will blow you away.

Pic one is cryptocoryne wendtii 'green'.

Pic two may be a Lilaeopsis species on the left, java fern on the right. Make sure the java fern rhizome isn't in the substrate or you'll kill it. Tie it to a rock or wood with cotton thread, elastic band, etc.

Pic three is java moss, cryptocorne wendtii "brown and looks like a few hurting stems of Egeria densa on the right. These are the three closest plants to the viewer from left to right.

Co2 is the king s*** of planted tanks. If it grows well without it, it grow way better with it. The plants you can keep without co2 injection are limited, but you don't need pressurized. You can use the DIY method, with pop bottles, sugar and yeast. Although in the long run, DIY is more expensive with the price of sugar. You generally use around 2-3 cups per week of sugar. Pressurized is around $200 to $300 to start up and around $20 a year for refills for smaller tanks.

Excel isn't co2, but a liquid carbon source (glutaraldehyde).

Excel helps, but isn't even similar to the results you get from co2 gas. If you want a lush tank with no gas, stick to easy plants like Java fern, moss, crypts, anubias and a few of the weedier stems like hygro, some rotalas, etc. It takes longer to grow them, but you technically can have the same end result if you choose species that do well in your setup.