Laguna Ferts

jamesbarr

has anyone got any experience with laguna fertilizers? I live in a small town and lately I havent been getting to the city too often to buy supplies. my plants are green but not growing. I used to use excel but no one here sells it. The lfs has this still for ponds called laguna plant grow. the dose is easy to get into regular tank sizes. It called for 50ml for 1000L. Just wondering if anyone had any mad horror stories to tell before I dumped it in my tank. Lfs says she uses it along with the pond guy at the hardware store (in his tank at home) but I dont know how their tanks look lol.

50ml per 1000l is quite a bit of solution to add,is this a complete mix?

Or would you still need a trace mix?

It might be cheapest for you to use dry ferts.

All seasons in Edmonton sells them cheep,and lee valley I believe.

Also if your looking for excel aquarium illusions,aquarium central,and big ALS sell it.

People started using metricide instead of excel,it is twice the strength and cheaper.

You can buy the metricide from vereburn in Calgary

http://www.vereburn.com/

Just make sure you look at metricide14, (the other one metricide28 is not safe for aquarium use)

Edited by Sprucegruve

Oh, i know where to get the excel in edmonton. problem is that i dont get in often enough, and when i do im usually in and out haha.

I think that its just a general fert. nothing too special. I keep pretty basic plants(java ferns, anubias,moneywort), but they arent really growning at all lately (2-3months) so I just want to give them a boost since I wont likely get to the city for a few weeks.

Is the dose suggesting to you that the product is quite dilluted?

It sounds a little diluted,but if it contains everything a plant needs then it might not be too bad.

Because im thinking,the average dose of excel for a 90 gallon tanks is 45mls,Not to mention like 20 Ml's of other seachem products.

if you solution only needs 50 mls and it has everything then it's not too bad(your solution does 264 gallons per 50ml)

But if you switched to metricide14 then you would only need 22.5ml's of solution instead of 45 ml's of excel for a 90 gal

And with dry ferts you would need a lot less and they are cheaper.

And they are easy to dose once you find the amount you need,I like this calculator

http://www.thenutrientcompany.com/aquarium/calculators/

Edit- I guess basically what I'm asking is,does the laguna frets contain carbon or do you still need to dose excel or metricide?

Edited by Sprucegruve

not that i can see. I think that I will have to get some excel or the like sometime soon. I did end up putting the laguna in my tank. kinda just pinched my nose and went for it. Its been two days now and no sign of ill so far. hopefully that remains that same. I think that I will keep the dosing to a min until I can get into edmonton and pick up some seachem.

Well,from the sounds of it,this laguna product is cheaper than seachem products and higher concentration,but I still need to look at the numbers on the bottle or website.

As it stands you can get away with just dosing this and a carbon source(excel,meteicide,or C02)

Good find.

But in the long run it would still be a little cheaper to get dry ferts

I just buy a trace mix(all your micro and macro nutrience)all seasons I believe is $8.75-$9 for a large 500 ml container(250 grams)this will last a long time.

Plus KH2PO4 mono- potassium-phosphate I believe $7-$9

I also buy kn03,they cant sell you powder form of this,so they make you a 1liter bottle(or bigger if you want) I think $8-$10

This is your complete mix,everything a plant will ever need,as long as you add carbon then your set(excel,metricide,or C02)

I believe a person in Edmonton ordered a couple extra gallon bottles of metricide,if you want to purchase it and don't want to wait. then look in the group order section in the past two months it should be easy to find

From the Hagen website

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Water-Gardening/Watercare/Additives---Supplements/PT866

"Laguna Plant Grow is specifically formulated to provide many benefits to pond plants. Plant Grow contains chelated micro-nutrients which promote plant growth and help keep plants strong and vigorous. It is ideal for all pond plants, including floating varieties. Plant Grow does not contain phosphate or nitrate and is safe for fish."

This product is essentialy a trace.

With our watersupply a weekly WC may provide nearly the same constituents.