Rainbow Fish Have Mouth Rot?

mharding4

Hey. Ive lost 80% of my stock in my tank in the past 48 hours. I could not see or tell why the fish were dying so fast. The water tested perfect. But I have about 7 fish left and they seem to be somewhat stable other than one. This one has what looks like mouth rot. From my readings I think its a bacterial infection? Anyone know what I can use to save the last of my fish? My betta seems immune. He has not changed and the fish continue to eat.. which i find bizzare... anyway.. any ideas? Do i have to go to Petland to buy an expensive antibiotic for a 7 gallon tank?

Id give some melafix a try. Its a treatment extracted from tea trees. Its relatively inexpensive. And Ive heard good things about it from my neighbour. And treated a fish that had pop eye with it. Pop eye was gone after a day.

I'm sorry, the tank is a 7 gallon? And there are rainbowfish in there? And you had 35 fish to start?

I can't think of many rainbows of which you could have more than maybe three or four in a tank that size. Even pseudomugils should have a bigger tank than that.