Motoro Rays

rayboy

im feeding half a shrimp each in the morning and half each at night

Variety is the 2nd best key to heathly rays. You would be better off to be feeding other foods as well (dew worms, hikiari massivore pellets, smelts, tilapia, etc). With a mono diet your rays will take a long time to become mature and they will never be as healthy as they could be.

I have 2 Motoro's. A boy and a girl, almost a year old. The boy is mature, and ready to make babies at 8.5 inches. The girls is not ready, at 7.5 inches. From what I have researched it's more about size than age that leads to them being mature, but I am still learning as well.

.The boy is mature, and ready to make babies at 8.5 inches.

Size is absolutely the biggest key to being mature for females and that depends on what you are feeding. However males isn't as much about size as it is their claspers and their shape/form. Males have a distinct body change that signifies their maturity but females lack this. My big female has pups that are 4-5" in diameter and are 6-7" by the time thier are about 60 days old. So at 7.5" I think you have some time before your female is ready. Usually about 12" in diameter is the norm however I have heard of cases where the female has been as small as 10". You will know when your female is mature if you have a mature male because he will star biting the female's outer disc etc (given proper water conditions) which are signs of breeding.

Thanks Scuba_Guy. That's what I have been lead to believe. The male's claspers look like he is ready to go. I had to seperate the female as he was biting the female's disc. I know for sure that she is too small to breed, so I'm just keeping them seperated for now, and letting her heal up.